017

Status: Edited

Status: Edited

"He won."

"You sound dissappointed."

"I'm not dissappointed."

"You thought he would lose. It's a good thing he didn't, you know."

"So he's ready then?"

"Almost. Give him more time."

"We don't have more time."

. . .

It was fifteen minutes until lights out when I finally flopped down on my bed after a long day of battles and classes. With a deep sigh, I reached over to my locker and pulled out my desk, mentally preparing for a long night of studying for my trigonometry test, which I was woefully unprepared for.

But when I signed on, a message notification popped up on my screen. My brow furrowed deeply. It was rare that I received messages. Tapping into my mail, I was shocked to see it who it was from.

SEE ME AT ONCE - ENDER

At least they've unlocked our messages, I thought bitterly as I once again stowed my desk away before moving to leave the barrack. I jogged quickly to his room, knowing perfectly well that he wouldn't have called for me if it could have waited.

Knocking on the door once I arrived, there immediately came a voice from inside.
"Come in."

I pressed my hand to the pad by the door before it slid open, allowing me entrance. "It's nearly lights out, you know," I said as I stepped into the room.

Ender was seated at the edge of his bed, looking grave. The dark circles had returned under his eyes and I couldn't help but notice how his posture slumped with exhaustion.

"I can walk you back, if you'd like," he replied, lifting his head to look at me.

I shook my head and gave him a small, playful smile. "No, just making sure we know what time it is so I don't overstay."

Ender cracked a tired smile in return. "I always know what time it is."

I had half a mind to remind him of the last time I'd been in his room, but bit back the retort. Instead, I went to sit next to him on his bed.

There was a moment of silence before Ender spoke again. "Do you know why they're pushing us, Lara?" His voice had a cold new bitterness to it.

My mind whirled for a moment as I watched him curiously. I'd been thinking a lot about that recently. "Well, they're only guesses."

"But?" He he asked, somewhat impatiently.

My eyes met his hard gaze for a moment. "I think they're running out of time. They need us. They need you." I paused a moment, letting out a shaky breath, unable to keep the concern out of my eyes. "There's a battle coming, Ender, and I'm positive they want you at the center of it."

Ender searched my eyes for a moment before turning away, a scowl taking over is features. "Screw the game," he spat suddenly. "I looked through the school records. No army in Battle School history has ever won this many battles in this short amount of time." He let his gaze drop, shaking his head.

I smiled softly. "You are the best, Ender."

He sighed deeply, still refusing to look at me. "Maybe. But it's no accident I got the soldiers I did; Launchies and rejects. And now, in any other army they could be toon leaders." He letting the words sink in. "They're stacking everything against me. They want to break us down."

Gently, I placed my hand on his in his lap. His gaze at last shot up to meet mine. "They can't break you," I stated firmly.

He scoffed, a dark look falling across his face. "You'd be surprised."

"No," I said, a determination gleaming in my eyes. "You'd be surprised. You underestimate yourself."

"There are limits to how many ideas I can come up with in a day, Lara," he replied wearily, all resolution falling as exhaustion once again overtook him.

"You'll be okay, Ender," I stated softly, gripping his hand tightly. "You have us, the army. We won't give up on you." Leaning in, I kissed him softly, hands intertwined between us.

Drawing away slowly, I looked up at him. "We won't ever give up on you."

And just like last time, we were plunged into darkness as the light switched off above us.

"I should go," I said, about to stand.

"No," Ender said quickly, his voice desperate for a moment. "Stay. Please."

I found his hand in the dark once more and slipped it into mine, giving it a brief squeeze as my resolve wavered. "Alright," I said quietly.

Together we climbed under the covers where we settled, Ender wrapping his hands securely around my waist and rubbing my hip gently. There were a few minutes of silence as my mind was brought unpleasantly back to our battle against Salamander.

"You said you'd be careful," I spoke up at last, unable to refrain myself.

"Hmm?" He hummed, already half asleep besides me.

I bit my lip nervously. "You said you'd be careful. With Bonzo." I clarified as anger and fear mixed uncomfortably inside me. "You had a nice way of going about that."

"I'm sorry. " His voice was tired and sad, and it made my heart ache painfully in my chest.

"I don't blame you, Ender," I said after a moment, letting a long sigh escape me. "But now you have to be extra careful. He won't forget this. He'll come after you." I was unable to keep the concern from seeping into my voice.

"I will be," he murmured softly against my neck.

"You said that last time too."