007

Status: Edited

Status: Edited

"Taking him away from her practically destroyed him. How do you expect him to react when he finds out he has to play her!"

"Calm down. I'm not even sure if I'm going to transfer her yet."

"That look you have? It was the same look you had when you transferred Wiggin."

"Oh is that so?"

"You'll end up breaking them before we can even get them to Command School."

"They weren't meant to become friends, Anderson. She was supposed to be his competition. Shape him into the commander we need."

"So what now? You transfer her and hope for the best? Hope they just forget about each other? These kids aren't objects you can just toss around!"

"Watch me."

. . .

The very next day I received a transfer slip to Condor. I followed the flashing black and white lights along the corridors, climbing ladders, turning a dozen corners, and feeling exactly like a rat inside a maze while my insides seethed with barely concealed rage. Those bastards were running a game I was already getting tired of playing.

The older soldiers stared at me as I made my way down the halls. I was the newbie all over again. Still in my bright yellow Launchie uniform, I stuck out like a sore thumb.

At last, the black and white lights stopped their flashing dance in front of a wide entrance. I had arrived at the Condor Army barracks. Taking a deep breath, I stepped inside.

The barrack was much larger than the Launchies one had been. From where I stood, I could see all the way to the back of the room where the wall curved up along the exterior of the station.

"Hey!" came a voice to my left.

I turned to find a black haired who looked to be a few years older than me. He was built like a bull, stocky and muscular. He hopped down from the top bunk of the bed closest to the door, seemingly extremely bothered by my sudden appearance. "You lost, Launchie?" he asked, sending me a nasty glare.

"I'm the new transfer," I said, meeting his gaze evenly.

"Show me your paper then."

I didn't. "I'm to report straight to Commander Michael Sif," I said carefully. The last thing I needed was to seem disrespectful, but this guy was making it hard.