016

Status: Edited

Status: Edited

"You saw the way he protected her. He'll do anything for her."

"I know, and that's what worries me."

"I'm sure it won't cause any harm. He can confide in her, which should lift his burden and help him continue through his training. This is exactly what we need."

"I'm positive this will get in the way. He's supposed to be giving training his full attention."

"Don't be so proud. You're just upset that you didn't see this coming."

"This will do nothing but slow his progress. Love is a weakness, and you're a fool to think otherwise."

. . .

I had just finished getting dressed when Ender came rushing into the barrack. All eyes turned to him at once.

A grim expression was set across his face, but he looked more well rested than he had in a long time. The circles under his eyes had thankfully disappeared for the time being. Memories of last night invaded the forefront of my thoughts at the sight of him. I couldn't suppress the grin the spread across my features.

He spoke immediately. "I hope everyone learned something yesterday, because we're doing it again today. Battle against Phoenix Army at 0700 hours," he said.

Someone yelled from the back of the room, surfacing from behind their bunk. "It must be a mistake! No one's ever had a battle two days in a row!"

Ender's eyes landed darkly on the speaker, but he said nothing. Instead, he thrust a small slip of paper into my hand. I skimmed it over quickly before looking up. "Flash suits," I shouted. Everyone rushed to change, muttering mutinously to one another.

As we suited up, Ender's voice rung out around us. "We can't count on the old way of things anymore. They're changing the rules. But I know I have an army that can handle it." He gazed around proudly at us as we lined up in formation at the front of the room.

Right then and there, if Ender had asked us to follow him to the moon, we would have.

The battle against Phoenix Army was much more intense than Rabbit's. Petra, the commander of Phoenix, was flexible to our attacks, responding much quicker than Carn Carby had. By the end of the game, nine of us had been disabled, but only three were flashed, while we'd left the entire Phoenix Army disabled. Once again, we'd won.

. . .

We'd won seven battles by the end of the week, without a single lose. It might have been easy for other armies to hate Ender, but he made it very difficult not to respect him. It was no secret that Dragon Army had fought and won a battle every day for the last seven days.