Here's the Thing...

**Reader POV**
The doors of the elevator slowly opened to our floor. I sighed as I stepped out. I played with the slide in my jacket pocket as I walked toward the door of the lab.

"You gonna take all day, bud?" I called turning my head toward the elevator.

"I don't care for your tone," Dan smirked. "I just might eat your fries (Y/N)."

"Take it easy. Let's not do anything drastic Danny," I held the door open as he walked past with the bags.

"That's better. I got you a (F/B) and a milkshake with fries."
^A/N: (F/B) is favorite burger^

"Thank youuu. I'm starving beyond compare. You have no idea Dan," my stomach growled as bit into my burger. "Mmmmmmmm so good."

"D-did you just...moan?" Dan laughed as he flopped into his chair.

"Maybe I did and maybe I didn't," I smirked at him. "Anyway, I gotta look at this sample real quick."

Dan looked at me and slightly shook his head. He mumbled something under his breath but I couldn't quite make it out. I pulled out a microscope from the cabinet and set it on a metal counter. I fumbled with the cord and cursed under my breath. 'Why do they make these wires so easy to tangle?' I finally got it plugged in and smiled happily. I pulled out the glass slide and took it out of the cover. It slid under the microscope and I adjusted the sharpness of the image. I took a few notes. 'It looks more cuboidal than squamous. The cells actually bear closer to cancer cells....abnormally large and kinda puffy. And--wait, that's weird.' I slowly removed my face from the microscope and turned it off.

"Hey, is Sophie working today?"

"Huh," Dan stopped humming and put down his shake. "I think so. Why? Got some more mush for her to look at?"

"It isn't mush Dan. It's part of an actual human being. And I just need her to run a few tests. I just need to be sure there aren't any of the chemicals inside it that I'm thinking of. It would be pretty bad. Although, it would definitely explain it."

"Chemicals present? What chemicals?"

"Hm? Oh, don't worry about it. Just a random cocktail that's illegal. It's probably a long shot. I'll be right back."

Dan raised an eyebrow and frowned. He opened his mouth to say something but closed it soon after. He shook his head and waved his hand.

"Kay bye," was the only response he gave.

I grabbed my keys and shoved the slide in my pocket. The door groaned as I pushed it open. I scoffed and locked it behind me.

"Old, shitty doors," I grumbled under my breath.

I played with my keys as I walked down the hall. Sophie was walking toward her room and I caught her attention.

"Hey!" her face lit up. "How are you? How's that case going? Still working on that dead end?"

"Yeah, I am," I shrugged my shoulders, "and it isn't a dead end. I think I'm finally making some progress."

"Really? Then what are you here for?" she smiled widely, "did you finally take me up on my offer? Dinner and a movie?"

I laughed, "no I didn't. I just needed you to run some tests on a sample for me. Foreign chemicals and such. Also look for chemical imbalances specifically in the skin cells. That okay?"

"Yeah," she chuckled, "come on in and show me the sample."

I trailed behind her as she opened her door and set down her purse. 'I assume she just got back from lunch.' I looked at her long red hair. It was wavy and thick. Her crystal blue eyes matched her fair skin. She was really flirtatious and upbeat. I didn't mind her company most days.