Chapter 3

"I killed them Emma. Well, not me personally. I told my friend thinking I had the best family in the world. I thought nothing would happen to us."

"Tell me what happened."

"Hey, Mike!"

"Hey Ben. What's up?"

"I have told you nothing about my family. But I know everything about your family."

"Yeah. Your right. So, tell me about your family."

"I have a mom, a sister and a dad. My dad has some ability to control fire. Or, at least I think he does. I think he showed me when I was younger."

"Wait. You're saying, your dad has fire magic and that there are two girls in your family?"

"Yeah. Is that bad?"

"If someone heard you it is."

I looked around looking for people hiding. I was in Mike's house and his parents were gone, so we were the only ones.

"I told him Emma. I told my best friend and he betrayed me. He betrayed you. He betrayed our family."

"You didn't know better. You couldn't have known what would happen."

"But I did. Dad told me never to tell anyone anything about you or his magic or even mom. That if I did, everyone would die."

My brother, my older and braver brother, started to cry again. Then he began to sob.

"I know you never see me cry. But I do. Every night when you go to sleep. It eats at me. The guilt that I killed mom and dad. That I almost killed you."

I went out of the small crevice with my little sister inside. At first, nothing was abnormal. Then my parents were dead on the floor. Both of them. There were pools of blood around their heads. The door to the outside was opened by the wind. I ran outside. Not caring where I would go or what I would do. Then I remembered Emma. Waiting for me to come back and tell her we were safe. But we weren't. I heard the soldier say he would come back later to check to see if Emma and I were real. I had to go back and keep my sister safe.

"Ben, you didn't almost kill me."

"But I did. When mom left, I don't know how to say this. When mom left the little room, I panicked. I wouldn't show it in front of you. But I did. The door was barely closed why I heard silent screams."

"Ben, I don't remember that night as well as you do, but I do remember you looking scared. I have never seen you that scared and I will probably never see you that scared again."

"Emma-"

"Hey, I know you are worried. But I promise I will never let anything happen to me. Got that?"

"Yeah."

"Good. Now, let's try to get some sleep tonight."

"Okay. Emma, you can stay in here, so I know that you stay safe."

"I would like that."

I turned my back on my brother and slowed my breathing. When he thought I was asleep, he went to the door. He opened it, and stepped outside. When he came back, I was almost asleep. Ben laid down on his bed, and started to cry. He cried himself to sleep.