Chapter 12

I run to Cal. "Cal! Cal wake up!"

"What's wrong Emma?" Cal asks as he wakes up.

"The captain. He- he got Ben. Ben is gone."

"How do you know? Ben could just be walking around."

"He was. I woke up. I heard Ben struggle and then I heard the captain. He is going to use Ben as bait to capture me again! I just know it."

Now Cal is fully awake. "Okay. Calm down Emma. We will come up with a plan."

"Okay," I take a few deep breaths and try to calm myself down. "How will we get him back?"

"I don't know right now Emma. We will come up with something. I promise."

I start to cry. I can only think of one way to get Ben back. "Cal, I might have to turn myself in. I don't want to, but it may be the only option."

"No Emma! There has to be something else. I won't let you just walk up to them. They will KILL you on sight!"

"But they won't. The captain said his 'employer' wants me. I'm pretty sure it may be the leader."

"Emma. There were other reasons. More than just the leader wanting to see you. They didn't kill you because they are afraid of you."

"That can't be true. They wouldn't be afraid of someone like me. I haven't even awoken to my powers yet!"

"Or at that time at least. Anyways, you can't just turn yourself in. There is a town nearby. We will stop there for new supplies and come up with something there. Okay?"

"Okay."

"Try to go back to sleep. I will keep watch."

"I don't think I can."

"Well, try. If you can't, then, we will just talk."

"Okay."

I lay down and after a few minutes, I fall asleep.

I wake up. Cal is sitting with his back to me. He is staring into the woods. I shift my weight and Cal turns around. His eyes are red, like he has been crying.

"Are you okay Cal?"

"I've been worse. I'll be fine."

"If you say so. Shall we get moving?"

"Yeah. Do you want to ride the horse?"

"Yeah, but what about you?"

"I can walk or we could ride double. You choose."

"Let's ride double. You in front?"

"You should be in front. I can help you if something happens. Let's get mounted."

"Okay."

Cal saddles the horse while he has me sit and wait for him. Cal tells me they haven't named the horse. I think of names for her. Snow? No. Emma? No. Hope? Yes, Hope is good.

"Okay Emma. I have the horse ready for travel."

"I want to call her Hope, if that's alright with you. She has given me hope that we will stay safe and make Ben safe."

"Yeah. Hope is a good name. Come on. I will help you get mounted."

Cal helps me get on Hope then he climbs on behind me. He clicks his tongue and Hope starts walking. He clicks his tongue again and Hope starts running. It isn't long before we reach the town. We stop in the tree line, on the outskirts of town.

"Emma, I can see guards everywhere."

"I see them. What now?"

"I have a plan. Do you trust me?"

"Of course I do Cal," I hope I'm right.

"Good. This may be a little risky."