Chapter 13

Cal gets down. "Stay here," he tells me, "I'll be right back."

Cal walks out of the forest into the busy town. Right into danger. He told me he is going to find disguises. That if he isn't back in about thirty minutes for me to run with Hope and never look back. I was told that once by my brother. I wish I was able to look back that night. The night that I was arrested.

It has been about twenty minutes when Cal walks into the woods again.

"I was about to leave. What took you so long?"

"Hiding. Guards everywhere. Remember? I am kind of recognizable since I was one of them."

"How could I forget?"

"Here, put this on," Cal hands me a shawl that covers my face, keeping me hidden," "Alright. Stay on top of Hope and I will do the rest. Just play along and keep the shawl over your face."

"Okay. But won't the guards notice I am a girl?"

"Yep. But in this part of the country, since we are so close to the border, it is a crime to arrest females. You will be safe."

"Okay."

Cal leads Hope into the town. The guards spot us almost immediately.

"Halt!" One of the guards commands Cal. "What are you doing here?"

"My wife and I are travelers and explorers. We came to the town to get more food and supplies. The we will be on our way again."

I try to keep the surprise at Cal's statement out of my eyes.

"What are your names, traveler?"

"Magnus, sir. And Emily, my wife."

"Well Magnus. You two stay safe. There are runaways in the woods."

"Thank you sir. I hope you can catch them."

"Our captain is doing all he can."

"Good. Well, we better be on our way. Good luck to you."

"And to you as well."

The guards walk back to their posts. I am shocked they didn't suspect anything. Or they may have and just didn't question it.

"Well, Magnus, shall we go get our supplies?"

"Of course Emily. Keep your eyes shielded."

"I am."

"Good."

Cal leads Hope towards the middle of town. There are merchants selling all kinds of food. Things for sale range from the fresh kill of the day to jewelry for the wives. Cal and I head towards the stands selling simple things such as bread and apples. The market is fairly large, even for a town of this size.

In the middle of the marketplace is a wall. I am guessing it is used as a billboard because of the homemade flyers plastered to it. Right in the middle of the wall are two flyers that catch my eye. Wanted posters. They are for Cal and I. The reward is large. The reward itself can house a family of four for at least two years. I look at Cal and I can see the worry in his eyes. I imagine Ben there and I can almost see him.

It starts to get dark so Cal finds an inn with a stable to stay the night at.

"Are we going to be safe here Cal?"

"We will be just fine here. Anyways, we should both get to sleep. So that we are both rested for the journey tomorrow."

"Yeah."

Cal gives me the bed and he sleeps on the floor. I guess because he doesn't want it to be awkward between us. Cal falls asleep in an instant. But I startle awake at nearly every sound. I am just always so afraid that someone is going to walk in and see us. I slowly start to fall asleep, after a few hours.

I wake up to someone nudging my shoulder. I start to panic on the inside. I prepare myself to attack. When I open my eyes I see Cal. I calm down and lose the want to punch whoever nudged me..
"Come on. Start getting ready. It is time to start going again," Cal says. "We need to get Hope and then get back to the woods."

"All right," I say sleepily.

It is still dark outside but it is common knowledge that travelers get up early. Cal is just sticking to his story. We leave the hotel right after the sun starts to rise. Cal pays the hotel manager and we walk in the dim morning light.

"Cal?"

"Yes?''

"Where are we going? After we get Hope I mean."

"Back to the woods. I thought we might want to start going if we want any chance of rescuing your brother."

"Yeah, I guess you're right."

"I know I am. Now, let's get going."

We go to the stables after a small breakfast. Cal supports me the entire way there since he is so paranoid that I will pass out when he can't help me. Hope is in a stall near the front door. Cal urges me to sit and wait and eventually wins. He gets Hope ready for travel quickly. I know that Cal has saddled horses before. I just don't know why he would need to if he would have had other people do it for him. Cal leads Hope of of her stall and the next thing I know, Cal is helping me get back into the saddle. My legs are still sore from yesterday but I will be fine. Cal leads Hope out of the stable and back towards the woods before one of the guards come to see us off.

"Even for travelers you're up early. Be safe on the way to wherever you're going."

"Thank you sir. I hope you catch who you are looking for."

"I hope we do to," With that, the guard turns around and heads towards his post.

As soon as we are out of eyesight of the town and guards, Cal gets on Hope right behind me. He clicks his tongue and we are off. Riding in the direction of the largest city, the Capitol. And I hope that that is where we are going to find Ben.