Chapter 8

"After I am mean to you, your captain, and everyone else, why are you still nice to me?"

"Because we have both lost something. I know what it feels like. So I decided to give you something back. A friend."

"Thank you Cal."

"Your brother. I know where he is. Will you allow me to help you find him?"

"I would let you. But how can both of us, or even you, get away from the captain and everyone else?"

"I have a plan. But you have to keep it a secret from everyone. Can you do that?"

"Yes."

Cal was about to tell me his plan when the last person I want to see comes in. The captain. I try hard not to move to attack the captain.

"Cadet, plans have changed. We need to go. As soon as possible."

"May I ask what happened Sir?"

"Not now and not around her."

"Should I go get the others ready to leave as well?"

"Yes. Go now!" Cal leaves immediately.

"Why are we leaving again?" I ask repeating Cal's question.

"I do not tell people like you our plans."

"If I'm going with you I think I should know why we're leaving."

"Headstrong are we? Well I will tell you where we are going. We are going to the capital."

"Th-The capital?"

"Oh, is that a problem for you. Well don't worry. You have three days to get used to the idea," The captain seems to make fun of me. And I'm sure he does.

The captain basically runs out of the small room. The person who I think is the doctor comes in to prepare me to leave again. I want to stay here. Stay away from the cart of those horrid ropes. It is hard to want to stay though. Knowing Ben is looking for me. I will have to trust Cal, as hard as that may be.

Cal comes in after the doctor leaves. I know I shouldn't ask. But, well, plans change. "Why do we have to leave?"

"Your brother found our trail. The captain doesn't want him to find you."

"Ben has always been a good hunter."

"Ben?"

"My brother. I thought you guys knew all about my family."

"The captain likes to keep some of us in the dark."

"Oh. I'm sorry."

"What are you sorry for? The captain's errors?"

"I guess so, when you put it like that."

"I will help you find your brother. No matter what. You can trust me."

"I was taught not to trust the people we call guards. But I believe you will help. So I trust you," I could see the relief on Cal's face when I said that. Cal has betrayed his brothers-in-arms, and I have betrayed my brother. My brother taught me not to trust the guards. Cal was raised by a code to not help the prisoners. And I guess I am a prisoner.