Chapter 7: Plans

Findekáno did not sleep that night, instead he spent his time watching the stars and tweaking a piece of music he had composed a while back. When Turukáno finally came home near the dawning of the next day, he immediately went to find his brother in their small courtyard.

"Who is she, Finno?" He took off his outer garment and laid it over a chair inside before walking through their doorway to where Findekáno sat watching the stars. "You spoke in riddles earlier."

"That is the question, Turvo. Who is she?" He smirked at his unsatisfied expression. "Trust me, brother. We are all trying to figure that out. But, come. Sit. For it is a strange tale."

And so Turukáno pulled his own chair beside his brother in their garden courtyard. He placed a cup of water onto a side table and gestured for Findekáno to continue. His brother nodded.

"When Nelyo and I were out, letters reached us by way of the ravens," he began. "They contained identical summons to Lorien from the Valar."

Turvo's eyebrow raised in evident surprise. "Why?"

"Just listen." Findekáno paused for effect before continuing. "We joined with Lady Nerdanel and Kánafinwë before traveling there."

"All of you received summons, then?" Turukáno took a sip of water as he contemplated this. "From the Valar?"

"Indeed." He smiled. "When we reached Lorien, and crossed to Lórellin, we were met not just by Estë and Lorien, but by Manwë and Varda also!"

At that, Turvo stopped sipping his drink and nearly spilled it. "Both of them?!"

"Yes." Fingon nodded and sat straighter, turning to face his brother more directly. A glint shined in his eyes from the light around them and the excitement he felt.

Turukáno had enough of his dramatics. "Well what did they have to say, brother?"

"It was less what they said, and more what they revealed. They stood apart and behind them lay the maiden you met earlier, peacefully asleep from Estë's enchantments." Findekáno leaned in. "They told us she had been brought here, to Arda, by Ilúvatar himself."

Now Turukáno did choke on his drink. "What?!"

"Truly! I do not lie!" Findekáno continued quickly, before his brother could get a word in edgewise. "Her hröa is like ours, of the Eldar. But, according to the Valar, her fëa is not!"

"What is it then?" Turvo leaned in closer as he spoke, intrigued more than he ever expected to be.

"They do not know for certain, but expect it is of the Secondborn!" Finno nearly laughed at his brother's shocked expression. "I told you it was not a discussion for all ears."

"This is strange news indeed." He murmured quietly to himself before speaking up again. "And father knows?"

"Yes. I told him that night," Findekáno revealed. "The Valar have asked us to watch over her."

"What is her name?" Turukáno asked. "I cannot recall."

"Eve." Finno said it slowly, and Turukáno repeated it. Findekáno laughed. "It is a strange name for a strange maiden."

They sat in silence for awhile, and soon the dawn had come forth fully. Laurelin and Telperion merged to create the day and the brothers retreated back inside their house.

"What are you going to do, then?" Turukáno asked him suddenly as they ate the meager breakfast they prepared.

Findekáno looked at him in confusion. "Do?"

"For this maiden." He rolled his eyes. "The Valar tasked you with helping her. I am sure the Fëanorions shall help, but you are the most level headed of them all. Aside from Lady Nerdanel, of course."