016

1/8/18

CHAPTER SIXTEEN; A CLOSER WALK WITH THEE

Father Kieran had passed away from a hex that one of the witches put on him and today was his wake. Maddison was struggling with her newfound vampirism. She was also confused as to how she still had her magic.

Maddison was sat at a table with Klaus as a band played happier music then she expected them to and people drinking and mingling. Maddie looked to Klaus to see him inspecting his glass with a frown. "Okay, whats wrong, Klaus?"

Before he could even answer, Cami slid in next to Maddison looking to Klaus.
"Hey, earth to you."

"Cami, your face..." Maddison looked at her with worry.

"Will heal." She said shortly and smiled softly before looking back at Klaus. "Listen, i wanted to thank you."

"Unless you come equipped with the means to fill this." He raises his glass. "No additional platitudes are necessary."

"Ok. I'm in a crap mood because my uncle just died and people are partying like its Mardi Gras. Whats your excuse? Klaus, seriously whats wrong?" She asked leaning forward.

"I've been having these dreams about my dead father." Klaus sighed. "No diagnosis necessary, love. I've already got this one covered. My fears of fatherhood are scarring my child as my father scarred me, are manifesting as nightmares. It's horrifically cliche."

"Truthfully, I'm just surprised to hear you acknowledge out loud that you're going to be a dad." Cami tells him with a hint of surprise in her tone. "Your baby mama's been living out in the bayou for months. It's not exactly 'What to Expect When You're Expecting'."

"I know more about the trials of fatherhood than you might imagine, Camille." Klaus says to her as she looks over at Marcel.

"And it worked out so well for you the first time. Why change a thing?" Cami stood up but turns to look at Maddie. "And Maddie, I heard what happened, I'm sorry." Maddie sent her a soft smile before Cami had left the two.

Maddison looked over to see Marcel getting everyone's attention by tapping his glass. The music has stopped and people gathered around to hear him. "I know I haven't been around these parts lately. It's a testament to Father Kieran that we could come together and share a drink and a story or two. Kieran rolled into town on a rusty old cruiser after his daddy died 25 years ago. And, damn it, that guy could party. That was, of course, before he took his vows. But even then, he was commited to the quarter. He knew that this town needed him. And we still do. To Father K." Marcel lifted his glass as everyone followed suit.

Elijah soon joined Klaus and Maddison but Maddison didn't even acknowledge the original. She wasn't sure how she felt about Elijah and the whole killing her thing yet. "Seems rather uncivilized. To laugh and dance around the body of a loved one." Klaus grumbles quietly.

"Yes. Far better than your process of grief, Niklaus? Denial, rage and hoarding coffins in basements," Elijah smiles at him pouring the three drinks as Maddie let the corners of her mouth lift up at his words.

"Well, he's not wrong." Maddie points out looking at a sulking Klaus.

Hayley walks over and sits next to Elijah as he speaks.. "I will warn you, Hayley. Niklaus is in an spectacularly foul mood today."