Chapter 8: Lies Hurt

Anais explained everything, why she was there and what was about to happen. The air felt stale and cold, the angel was but a mere child in the eyes of the priests- this didn't affect Anais in anyway- in fact she didn't even give a shit. After an explanation of everything, Anais scanned the room to check the souls of everyone in the church- everyone was fairly clean. There was nothing much to worry about, besides the fact that she needed everyone to go to confession so they won't be subjected to more demonic impurities. 

After getting settled in, the main priest was the first to go into the confessional (the boxy room that peeps go into to tell their sins to a priest dude or deacon dude) and ask for God's forgiveness from the messenger herself. The priest did the sign of the cross, said the opening prayers, and the act of contrition (where you are saying sorry to god and vowing to tell all your wrongs). "What sins have you done, Sir?" Anais calmly asked the man after he finished the opening. The priest twiddled his thumbs, pulling out a mental list of all the wrong doings he committed. 

"Please," He replied, "Call me Fr. Feliciano." he gave the angel a friendly smile and started confessing everything: from when he accidentally injured an old lady by leaving his bag of books in her way which caused her to trip, when he laughed at little boy who thought God was in his closet, to when he lied to his 3 year old niece about her father's death. After saying all this, there was a quiet pause, Anais searched through her thoughts and waited for a message from God. Before Anais told Feliciano that he was ready to go, the man stopped her, "I have another sin to confess!" he said frantically.

The angel only chuckled and flashed him a soft smile, "Father," she said as she shook her head, "I know when you are lying," the priest was shocked by this, it was amazing what an angel can do, "It stings me whenever someone lies and they know that they have told a lie and accept the fact that they did." the priest shook his head in realization and left, leaving the girl alone in the room until the next person came. Person after person came to talk to the angel, almost everyone confessed to the little messenger, almost everyone. There was one girl in particular, she was fidgeting and a bit jumpy when the angel first appeared in her church, it was almost her turn for confession- just 2 people before her- she decided that she wouldn't be staying any longer, when no one was looking she ran as fast as she could out of the church and down the dirt road. No one even noticed that she left. Anais felt a small sting in her chest as the last person left the confessional, something is bound to happen...