Chapter Seventeen

The door suddenly swung back, and I jumped, feeling a bit startled. Floating in the entrance was none other than Lean Share. She squinted at me as if she were trying to figure out what I was exactly going to do.

"What are you doing?" she questioned. Her voice sounded low and tense. "And why do you have your arm out? Are you reaching for something?"

I looked at my arm, which was still quite aways from the rest of my body, and my hand remained in a gripping position.

Crub.

I quickly pulled my arm away and hid it behind me. "Sorry," I apologized. "I was...uh..." I thought of the best excuse possible. "...just doing some stretching."

The ghost raised an eyebrow. "Out here? In the hallway?"

"Y-yeah. My sister and I exercise in the hallways at our house all the time." I did not know whether she bought that or not because she looked at me with a face that did not seem to care, and then picked up her vegetable soup.

"You had better not let Mr. Hawk catch you," she told me. "He has a rule on training and exercising. If you want to train or do any form of exercising, then you have to go outside. If you do not, then you might break a valuable item of his." She sighed. "Valuable indeed."

Lean floated back into her room and was about to shut her door, when I pushed on the door.

"Now what?" Lean said, struggling to close the door.

"Please," I pleaded. "I...I want to talk to you."

"About what? The fact that I should listen to Stanley and Mr. Hawk? That I should listen to the others?"

"No, I--" I was going to say more, that I agreed with her, but she continued on with her ranting.

"It is Mr. Hawk's fault that I am this way! What I am today! I would not be suffering right now if we never went on that mission! And I would not be blind!"

I gasped at what she had just exclaimed. Oh my gosh. She was blind?