Chapter Twenty-Five

Eek!

I wrapped my arms around my head and stayed perfectly still, not moving an inch. I stared at the zombie-like creatures as they staggered towards me, their bulging, yellow eyes locked on me. They held out their skinny arms, showing off both their bony hands and their sharp talons.

Reaching for me.

Not letting their prey escape.

This was the third incident that I encountered that night. First, meeting up with one of these hideous monstrosities at the mansion. Then, falling off a cliff.

Now this.

And how did I get out of the first two situations? Two words.

Lean Share.

She saved me both from getting scraped by the monster and from falling off the cliff, and I was very grateful, even though that she caused one of those situations to happen, but she still saved me.

Would she come to my rescue once again? Or would I meet my doom, for sure?

Well...I did get angry and snap at her. However, I had every reason to be. She was in the wrong. There was no need to put my own life in peril. She could have just pulled to the side of the road and had her flashback right then and there. But no! She had to keep on going! Seriously?!

And why did I see that it was no harm for her to drive in the first place? She was blind!

Hold on. Now that I think about it, why did we even take the smelly, disgusting truck?

Lean can fly. She is a ghost.

And she can carry me!

Has the ghost not heard of logic before? I bet that she has seen TinnyTop TurboToppler.

The creatures closed in on me. I could feel their hot breaths against my face, and a pair of cold hands being placed on my waist. I shivered as the hands slowly dug their long talons into my favorite shirt.

Into my skin.

I let out a yelp. It was not the most painful thing that I have ever felt. I have felt worse. But it was definitely hurting me.

Grunts and growls filled my ears. Their thin bodies got closer to mine, almost touching. I was so uncomfortable.

Remember many chapters ago when I stated that I do not like when people who I barely know sit near me? I would rather have a complete stranger sit next to me than have terrifying creatures near me any day, and I bet that you would too!

"Ah!" I cried as a creature leaped at me and grabbed ahold of my shoulders. It leaned its face towards mine and...

...and...

...talked.

"Help...us..." It spoke low, yet clear.

"W-what?" I stammered, shocked that it could actually talk.

"Help...us...please..."

Help them? Help them with what?

"Help?" I questioned.

"We...have heard...so much about you..."

Really? I am not famous...yet.

"So much...Margie Morgan..."

Okay! I am out! This is getting creepy.

"Protect us...protect us from bad man..."

"Bad man?" I wondered. "You mean Mr. Hawk?"

The creature did not reply to that. Instead, it pointed a talon at me and said, "You...Monster Protector..."