CHAPTER THREE

I swung the door open wide to reveal a total mess, there was a man sitting against the left wall and then there was the beast. The kiriko was standing in the middle of the room with an arm around a woman's waist. Gon and Kurapika jumped into action and ran after the kiriko with the girl, "Leorio! kira! stay with him!" Leorio immediately went to the man and began to patch him up, I was consoling him and telling him that everything would be fine. I was also trying to keep his mind off the pain and made sure he stayed conscious. I knew it was all an act but I had to play along other wise I would be suspicious. Leorio finished up and asked the man if there were any herbs nearby. "Yeah, there is a large hill south of here." Leorio nodded and walked to the door, I followed him and he turned to me. "kira, I need you to stay here and look after him. we don't know what other creature live here and the smell of his blood could bring them here." I nodded and turned to go back inside, but he grabbed a hold of my elbow and made me look at him. "Look, im sorry about earlier, you were right. The bus was a trap, I should have listened. And im sorry about the comment about not trusting you. Can you forgive me?" I smiled up at him and pulled him into a hug. "Leorio, you don't need to apologize, I understand that you were a little freaked out. It was my fault. I think of you as my older brother, even though we haven't known each other for long. I forgive you." I released him and he pat my head. I returned to the cottage and sat in front of the man. "We need to talk."

"About what?" He tried to pull an innocent look but I shook my head at him. "I know your not human." At first he looked confused, then surprised. "What are you talking about?" He was leaning forward slightly and I sighed. "Just drop the act kiriko, it doesn't work on me." His face lights up and he began to laugh at my response. "How did you know?"

"For starters, there were magical beast warning signs everywhere in the swamp and yet not a single creature was living here or there except you two, or should I say 4? Anyway, my instincts were telling me not to kill the kiriko that took that woman, then there's the whole thing about her being your wife. That woman's tattoos would complicate a marriage, considering they represent a vow of chastity. The two of you also look more like siblings than a married couple, and that kiriko that took her was an elder female, so my guess is that she was your mother and your father is probably out chasing my friends right now." He chuckled softly and lifted his arms toward me, "Help me up?" I sighed and looked down at him shaking my head. "Your wounds are fake, I told you the act doesn't work on me." He laughed again and I helped him to his feet, before he left I stopped him, "Please refrain from hurting Leorio too much." He nodded his head and transformed. He grew more hair and his arms turned into fuzzy bat like wings. He sent me a glance and took flight. I sighed and went back inside to clean the place up.

Leorio POV:

The cliff side was slick and I had to be careful. I was clinging to the side of it by a small rope with a basket tied to my back. I was silently praying that I wouldn't fall to my death. A sudden gust of wind blew by my face and when I faced the edge of the cliff I was hanging from I saw a kiriko standing their holding the only thing that was keeping me from falling, the rope. "Hehehe, looks like I found another human to kill. That girl was so boring, I almost fell asleep!" I shot my head up and looked into that things eyes. "What girl? Oh no..... Kira! What did you do to her!?" I was shaking with anger and worry, I know I just meet her but she's like a little sister to me and I would never forgive myself if something happened to her. After what she said, I couldn't loose her like that! I grabbed the basket of herbs and threw them at the kiriko and jumped up to attack again, but then I noticed something. A needle mark?

Kira POV:

I centered the upturned table and fixed most of the furniture, the couch had a broken leg and the end table was cracking, I broke the other three legs off the couch to make it at least look even and found some glue to fix the table with. Once everything was back in order the group came back. I went outside to greet them, Once Leorio saw me he sprinted up to me and pulled me into a tight hug, I could barely breathe. "Leo....rio.....Air....." He let me go and said, "Don't you go dyeing on me, got that?" I nodded my head and I glared at the son. He shrank slightly and I stomped up to him. "Alright, what did you do?" He shook his head and gave me a puppy dog look, I sighed and stood in line with everyone else.

They began to congratulate us for our work. "Kurapika, you were able to correctly point out my tattoos, they do indeed prove that I have taken a vow of chastity. you have knowledge of this tribe traditions and ways, therefore you are qualified to take the hunters exam." They all bowed to Kurapika and he had a slight blush on his cheeks. "Leorio, you expertly cured my wounds and left on a dangerous task to retrieve a rare herb for my injuries, your expertise in medicine is why we think you should take the exam." once again everyone congratulated him and bowed. The mother and father stepped up and talked about Gon. "Gon, there are not very many people who can tell us apart. You fought well and your observation skills are why we think you should take the hunters exam." They bowed to him and I spoke up. "Its not that hard to tell you two apart." The two kiriko came up to me and switched themselves around. "Ok then, which one of us is the female." I giggled and pointed to the one on the left. "You are the mother, you might look similar but your voice is deeper than his plus you are about a centimeter taller than he is." The nodded and returned to their original positions. "And kira, you knew from the beginning that something wasn't right. Your instincts, observation skills, historical knowledge, motherly qualities and deduction skills are why we think you are qualified to be a hunter." I blushed at the "motherly qualities" comment. Kurapika, Leorio and Gon all looked at me surprised, I told them what happened after Leorio had left to find that herb. They were impressed with my "skills," and with that we all jumped on a kiriko and continued our journey.