X: Part 1,Chapter one

Light began to trickle in through  the faded curtains, steadily illuminating the grey room. Harper awoke with a start, fumbling for the light switch. As she did so, numerous objects came hurtling to the ground. Loud thuds rang throughout the room. She sighed, even though Harper was used to her unnatural tendency to knock unassuming objects from their perch, she remained unprepared for the echoing bangs and crashes that followed. 

She glanced at the neon numbers displayed on her alarm clock. It was early, far too much so. It dawned upon her that she had not yet missed Law Passing day. This was a thought that brought her no pleasure, Law Passing was undoubtedly tedious, a day filled with hours upon hours on end listening to the latest laws and at the end of the day, a vote would occur and the laws with the highest votes would be passed, a day organised by the government.

Why was it created? It remained a mystery although rumors were made the reason was never certain.

If you had yet to experience the event, this day could have even been a possible cause for excitement, but past experience told her it would be anything but. Harper knew enough by now to grasp that the laws to be passed were carefully selected to bore to the greatest extent and that the chances of any genuinely useful laws being passed (or any that could possibly spark her interest) were impossibly low. Instead, unyeilding boredom would plague her thoughts.

                                                            *                            *                        *

Harper stared up at the fading building, her piercing eyes burning into the depths of its many familiar floors. Each one of these floors had been carefully constructed by the government to become its  base, a headquarter of sorts. She could see how this towering structure could once have been considered marvellous but time had taken its course, leaving behind what now stood in-front of her. She approached it with a sense of dread.

She walked through the large, wooden double doors to be hit by the icy tension in the room. The tension caused a sense of unease to rise in her stomach. Ordinarily, Harper would have put it down to it not just being herself who was dreading Law Passing, yet this felt.... different.

Anxious faces were huddled in the centre of the room, whispering rapidly. Even from the distance of which Harper was stood she could tell something was drastically wrong. Not daring to approach them, thoughts and circled her mind. What if it was to do with a law being passed? Or what if They had returned? Each possibility worst than the last.

At long last Harper gathered the courage and walked slowly past them, in the hope of catching a precious snippet of their hushed words. However, as she did so, the once rapid whispers had turned to silence. As she walked away, slightly crestfallen the silence burst into chatter once more.