sixteen

. . .

 garrett's pova/n: IMPORTANT okay so this chapter is a bit different to the usual! it is a one off special chapter from garrett's point of view

garrett's pov
a/n: IMPORTANT okay so this chapter is a bit different to the usual! it is a one off special chapter from garrett's point of view. this is the incident that garrett told shane and ryland about.

over the last week, being around drew has been strange. enjoyable, sure, but strange. i struggled to focus on anything when he was in the room; it was odd as we'd been friends for years and i'd never had this problem before. we both missed shane and ryland, who seemed to be having a blast in paris whilst we were stuck in america.

i had gotten back from pennsylvania yesterday morning and was now in an extremely competitive mario kart war against drew. we hadn't moved off his bed for over three hours, match after match being declared as we sipped on our beers. his parents were away for the weekend so i was staying round and had brung a few bottles from my dad's shed for us to have tonight, along with the dominoes pizza we ordered.

it was almost midnight when i flung my controller down in defeat, groaning in annoyance. we were sat cross legged on his bed, facing the television as the title sequence for the round ended. the taste of beer burnt the back of my throat as i took another swig, watching as drew smirked at me.

"you suck at mario kart." drew laughed, pulling out his phone and checking his messages. i noticed that he was snapchatting trisha, and this made me feel strange inside. i didn't like it. i'm not sure why, because trish is an amazing, beautiful girl who i have so much respect for, but i just didn't like the thought of them being together. she'd sent a pic of her eating nachos, and i noticed him smile as he replied.

"so," i enquired, "are you gonna get with her?"

drew glanced up from his phone screen. "who, trish? i don't know. should i?"

i automatically retorted "no", and then blushed in embarrassment as i realised what i'd just said. he turned his full attention to me at this point, placing his phone in his lap.

"why not? i thought you liked trisha." he commented, biting his lip in concern and i'm gonna be honest it made me go crazy inside.

how do i answer that? of course i liked trisha. she was a really sweet girl. but she liked my guy. except, actually, drew wasn't my guy. he was my best friend and he would always be my friend, nothing more. because that's what he wanted.

the last three new year's eve parties had ended with us kissing, and even though it meant nothing to him, it meant everything to me. i would feel a little spark ignite inside of me, and then the second he pulled away it would be as though someone had blown it out, flattened the spark with their shoe and left it to rot.

"of course i like her," i rubbed the back of my neck awkwardly, "it's just weird to think of you having a boy- i mean, girlfriend." it hurt my heart, even though i knew it was going to happen from the very beginning.