epilogue

shane's pova/n: get your tissues at the ready

shane's pov
a/n: get your tissues at the ready

police cars are very, very scary. the lights flash brightly, red and blue, and you have this feeling of regret in your stomach. you sort of forget how to breathe, like something's lodged in your throat.

we were stupid to think that our little plan would ever last.

one week after we found the perfect little house, at 5am, we got a call from garrett. we said to only phone in emergencies, that texting was easier. he told us that there was a 'missing person' report for both of us, that someone had sighted us and that the police were on the way to pick us up. they'd traced us to the area and would be knocking on the door of every house.

of course, we both panicked, running around the house and picking up everything we owned and stuffing it back into our bags, making the house look untouched as if we'd never set foot in here. hopefully, if the owner ever returned, they would just forget how untidy there house was.

"what are we going to do, shane?" ryland asked, his voice wavering. it had been ten minutes since we got the phone call, and who knows how long we would have until the police arrive. his eyes were welling up with tears, making my heart ache.

the repercussions of us being found were not good. ryland's parents would take him to colorado and probably never allow us to be together again. i think my mother would understand; she's always understood me and the way i behave. always with the people i care about as my best interest.

"i don't know," i whispered in reply, linking our fingers and kissing the top of his hand in comfort, "but we're going to get out of this house, lock it up and decide from there."

i tried to make my voice confident in order to reassure ryland, but i don't think it got me very far. he could see right through me like i was transparent.

once we were out the house with the door locked, ryland looked up at me with watery eyes. "i'm so scared." he admitted, climbing on behind me. "what're they gonna do with your bike? what're they gonna do with us?" his voice was wobbling, lower lip trembling.

"i don't know." i repeated, starting the engine. we sat there for a few seconds, neither of us making the first move to leave. his eye were no longer bright and alive, now dull and emotionless. "i don't want to give up, ry, but..." i trailed off, not really sure what to say. i bit my lip, furrowing my eyebrows.

"-we can't keep running forever, can we?" ryland replied. i didn't know what to say, so i grabbed his shoulders and pulled him into my chest. his hands gripped my shirt as he held onto me, my arms around him.