New Life

When Byun Baekhyun was born on a slightly chilly spring day, his mythical selection surprised everyone. The little boy was bright-eyed with irises that held the light of the stars. His smile was beautiful and gentle, so his parents (a Kumiho and human respectively) believed he would select a more graceful creature. A unicorn perhaps, or even a Selkie, but it was not too be.

You see, the mythical selection was a tradition in this world, for when a baby was born, they were given the choice to select a life companion. The choice was up to the baby because this was fate in its purest most innocent form. A selection of carvings would be laid out decorating the floor, and the baby would be sat in front of them. Each carving displayed a mythological creature, and the baby was said to feel drawn into a specific carving; when they picked it up, this was now their partner. Partners didn't have to necessarily end up being together, but it was a companionship for life. Every human child born was paired with a mythological one in order to facilitate peace and unity between two very different worlds. And of course, Baekhyun was no different.

So Baekhyun was seated in front of the carvings, supported by his father. But the child wouldn't pay attention to the carvings; he was much more mesmerized by his father's twirling tails. Baekhyun's mother laughed at the sight, and his father chuckled before gently pulling his tails away from the little one's reach; then Baekhyun noticed the carvings.

Every carving was beautiful, and little Baek was overwhelmed with the concept of all the things in front of him. But soon, one carving toy stood out amongst the many that lay in front of him, and he found himself reaching for the piece. When his father pried the piece from the little Byun's hand, the distinct carving of a dragon was revealed adorning the front. Holding his breath, Baekhyun's father slowly turned the piece over and a lone silver scale decorated the back. Baekhyun's mythical selection was a silver dragon. Now, Baekhyun's future began.