Chapter 21

A/N:

Hi! Sorry that this is late too! I know I promised I would update sooner but I had a tough time deciding where to take the story and how to take it there.

I apologise that this is very short. I'll be updating the next chapter on Saturday, probably. It was actually one long chapter, but I felt that it's better to have the break between the different parts. So, I divided it into two. This chapter only has around 14k words.

On top of that, I actually aimed for 25 chapters, but now I'm not sure whether the chapters will reach 25 or not. It's already too long so I feel like cutting it down. Let's see what happens.

I also don't really favour the thought of making a sequel once this ends, because I don't think I could afford to commit. But, if you want me to, I'll probably do like, a series of one shots as a sequel? That way, I don't really have to commit in the same way I have to for a chaptered story. What do you guys think? Let me know your thoughts! x

Thank you for your patience, and happy reading, babies! ❤️

---

Love is not "if" and "because"
Love is "anyway" and "even though" and "in spite of."

- Unknown

Louis rouses awake, the sunlight shining on his back pulling him out of his slumber. Oh, the sun is out. He rolls onto his back, rubbing at his eyes. The bed is empty. It's big, and empty, and cold.

He stares at the ceiling, breathing in and out, in and out. It's like trying to calm the storm before it comes, there's nothing you can really do about it.

When he's fully awake, he sits up and scoots towards the edge of the bed. He grabs his phone to look at the time, pressing his lips together when he sees that it's barely eight in the morning. The house feels so vacant, so quiet. Something that's never bothered him as much before.

Something doesn't feel right in his chest, and he has the strongest urge to cry. He pretends he doesn't know why; it already feels exhausting to try and suppress his emotions.

He tosses the phone onto the bed, grabbing the towel and disappearing into the toilet. He stares at his face in the mirror, and he can't even last a second before he's turning away, unable to look at himself when he thinks of what he's done.

His hands are shaking when he's trying to put toothpaste onto the toothbrush, and he huffs in annoyance, tears already pricking at his eyes from frustration. Why is it not getting on the bristles properly, why is everything so wrong this morning?

Louis drops them both just before he starts heaving, and then he's stumbling back onto his bum on the cold floor. Tears pour down his face, drenching his skin in a matter of seconds. His palms are still shaking when he brings them to his face, wiping the tears away. It's useless, but he does it anyway. His sobs crack the silence, and Louis has never felt so much guilt within his being all his life.

"Edward." He cries to no one, his fingers curling against his chest.

What did he do?

"Edward." His body tenses up from how much it hurts. "Edward."

What did he do?

The lump keeps growing and his tears don't feel like they're going to stop any time soon, so Louis wraps his arms around himself. He tries to soothe himself, tries to calm down.

But he keeps seeing Edward's face from last night, keeps hearing his pained voice, the betrayal, the hurt. He can't erase Edward's tears from his mind, knows that he's the reason behind them.