Chapter 5

The  next  day  Sammy  sat  alone  at  the  lunch  table.  Kyle  was  dealing  with  a  serious  case  of  the  flu,  which  had  him  missing  days.  The  one  person  he  didn't  want  to  see  was  standing  in  his  face.  She  was  wearing  a   white  top  with  a  blue  skirt,  her  eyes  fixed  on  him.

    ''What  do  you  want''?  he  asked  frowning.

    ''Can  I  talk  to  you  for  a  second''  she  sat  down  putting  her  purse  on  the  table.  He  didn't  want  to  talk  of  course,  but  there  was  no  getting  rid  of  her.

   ''I'm  sorry  about  the  other  day  I  really  am''.

   ''So  that's  what  you  came  to  tell  me  Taylor''?  he  asked.

  ''Not  only  that,  me  and  Matt  weren't  serious''.  That  made  him  think,  now  he  felt  like  an  idiot  for  sure.

  ''The  reason  I'm  here  is  to  ask  you  for  a  favor''.

  ''Favor  from  me''?  he  said.

  ''Yes  I  need  your  help''.  He  leaned  in  closer  to  her  she  seemed  nervous.

  ''I  can't  tell  you  right  here,  not  now  but  is  there  a  place  we  could  meet''?

  ''The  lake''?  he  wrote  down  the  directions  on  a  piece  of  paper.

  ''Meet  me  there  around  6:30  tonight  alright''?.

  ''Alright''  she  said  leaving.  He  watched  her,  this  came  at  a  total  surprise.

     Sammy  sat  on  the  ground  looking  at  his  watch  it  was  time  for  her  to  show.  He  was  so  nervous,  his  heart  pounded.  After  all  the  girl  who  ignored  him  for  three  years  needed  his help.  She  arrived  smiling at  him.

    ''Hey  you  made  it''  he  said  Taylor  looked  around.

    ''I've  never  been  out  here  before  it's  beautiful''.

   ''Yeah  it  is''. 

   ''Sammy  I  wouldn't  have  come  to  you  if  I  didn't  need  your  help''.  He  looked  at  her,  she  was  worried  that  got  his  attention.

  ''So  how  can  I  help  you''?

  ''It's  my  dad..........he's  missing''.

 ''Missing?  what  do  you  mean''?  he  asked.

 ''I  don't  know  he  hasn't  called  me  in  weeks  he  always  calls  me  Sammy''.

 ''Taylor  what  do  you  want  me  to  do  i'm  not  the  police''.

''I  want  you  to  come  with  me  to  Seattle  and  help  me  find  him''.

''What?  help  you  search  for  your  missing  father''?

''Yes.......I  know  it  sounds  weird  but  i  have  to  find  him''  she  said.

''I  don't  know  what  to  say''.

''Will  you  help  me  Sammy''?  He  went  silent  for  a  second,  it  wasn't  everyday  you  heard  something  like  this.  She  was  hurt,  it  showed  but  how  .......could  he  go  threw  with  saying  yes.

 ''Taylor  I  want  to  help  you  i  really  do,  but  i  can't''.

 ''Thanks  for  nothing''  she  said  leaving.  That  made  him  feel  bad  laying  on  his  bed  wide  awake.  He  wanted  to  help  her,  but  how  to  go  about  it  was  a  mystery.  All  his  life  he  been  dealing  with  that  exact  pain.  His  mother  stood  at  the  doorway.  She  sat  on  the  edge  of  his  bed  looking  at  him.

  ''Something's  bothering  you  I  can  tell''.

  ''It's  nothing''.  She  knew  better  than  that  though.

  ''You  know  you  can  always  talk  to  me  about  anything''.  He  sat  up  looking  at  her.

  ''There's  this  girl  at  my  school........she  needs  my  help''.

  ''With  what''?  she  asked  looking  concerned.

  ''She's  looking  for  her  missing  father  and  wants  me  to  come  with  her''. 

  ''Sammy  that  sounds  serious''.

  ''The  best  part  is  this  he's  in  Seattle  somewhere''.

  ''Seattle''?

  ''Yes  i'm  confused  mom  I  really  am''.  She  already  understood  why  he  didn't  know  how  to  help  her.  This  was  the  exact  struggle  her  young  son  faced.  He  spent  the  last  four  years  battling  demons.

  ''Sammy  what  do  you  feel  you  need  to  do''?  He  shrugged  his  shoulders,  the  thought  was  so  depressing.

 ''Think  about  it....I  know  it's  been  very  hard  on  you  but  try''.

 ''It's  been  four  long  years  mom''.

 ''I  know  but  maybe  you  can  gain  something  from  this''.  She  struck  a chord  in  him,  all  the  pain  he  kept  buried  inside  needed  to  be  let  out.  This  was  the  perfect  opportunity  for  him.

 ''Listen  it  won't  bring  your  father  back,  but  maybe  if  you  help  her  find  her's  then  closure  you'll  find''.  She  was  right  and  he  understood  he  realized  it  right  then.

 ''I  understand  mom''.

 ''Good.....do  this  for  yourself''  they  embraced  each  other.  It  was  all  set,  he  looked  around  the  packed  hallways.  He  stood  by  his  locker  as  Kyle  met  him  there.

  ''Long  time  no  see  man''.

  ''Yeah  I  been real  busy,  but  i see  your  feeling  better''  Sammy  said  it  was  good  to  see  his  old  friend  again.

 ''Who  are  you  waiting  for''?

 ''Taylor''  Sammy  replied.

''Dosen't  she  have  a  boyfriend''?

''Nope''  he  said  grinning.  Taylor  appeared  walking  down  the  hall  towards  her  locker.  Sammy  met  her  there.

 ''Taylor  I  thought  long  and  hard  what  you  said''.

 ''So''.

''I'm  going  with  you''  he  said  as  her  face  lit  up  she  hugged  him.

''I  knew  you  would  help  me''.

''So  when  do  we  leave''?

''Tomorrow  at  8am  i'll  pick  you  up  by  the lake''  she  left  smiling.

''What  was  that  all  about''?  Kyle  asked.

''I'm  going  to  Seattle  who  knows  how  long  i'll  be  gone''.

For  what''?

''Long  story,  but  I'll  call  and  tell  you''  Sammy  said  digging  threw  his  locker.  He  packed  his  clothes  at  home.

 ''I  want  you  to  call  me  everyday  son''.

''I  promise''  he  said  giving  her  a  kiss  on  the  cheeck.

''Remember..........do  this  for  yourself''.  He  turned  off  his  lamp  and  fell  asleep,  his  journey  was almost  ready  to  begin.