Chapter 7

The  local  Sailer's  Club  was  Seattle's  finest  boat  association.  They  were  owned  by  a  gentleman  named  Oscar  Penn.  He  took  great  pride  in  showing  off  his  boats,  every  year  he  held  the  races.  The  best  sailer's  in  the  city  would  compete  in  a  two  day  race  in  the  Pacific.  It  was  a  annual  event,  that  was  of  course  if  the  hurricanes  didn't  stop  them.  Taylor  and  Sammy  arrived  heading  to  Mr.  Penn's  office  nearby.  He  was  at  his  small  desk  looking  threw  some  papers.

    ''Hello  there  what  can  I  do  for  you  two''?

    ''I'm  Taylor,  and  this  is  my  friend  Sammy  we  need  some  information''.  He  sat  there  looking  at  her.

  ''Information  about  what''?

  ''My  father's  name is  Allen  Wilcox,  he  was  said  to  have  rented  one  of  your  boats''  Taylor said.  He  paused  trying  to  remember  the  name.

  ''Oh  yes.........I  remember  that  name  a  nice  fellow''.

  ''Can  you  tell  me  when  exactly  did  he  rent  your  boat''?

 ''It  was  about.........three  weeks  ago,  he  came  out  here  he  said  he  was  competing''.

 ''In  the  race''?

 ''Yes''  he  said.  That  was  another  surprise  since  when  did  he  become  so  interested  in  the  Sailer's  Race.  Something  wasn't  adding  up,  and  she  felt  it.

 ''Thank  you  for  your  help  sir''  Taylor  said  as  they  made  their  way  back  to  the  hotel.  Sammy  called  his  mother,  just  to  hear  her  voice  made  him  feel  closer  to  home.  They  had  been  in  Seattle  for  only  three  days,  but  it  felt  much  longer.  She  told  him  how  well  the  animals  were  doing,  making  sure  they  all  had  their  food.  Kyle  also  came  by  helping  out  whenever  she  needed  it.  That  made  him  smile,  as  he  just  listened  to  her.  Taylor  looked  at  him  he  seemed  so  relaxed  and  comfortable.

  ''So  your  close  to  your  mom''?

  ''Yeah  I am''  Sammy  said  putting  his  phone  down.  He  sat  up  on  his  bed  removing  his  glassess.

  ''What  about  your  dad...........where  is  he''?

  ''He's  gone''.

  ''Gone  how''?

  ''Dead............he's  dead''.

  ''I'm  sorry......I  didn't  know''.

  ''Yeah  well now  you  know''.  She  was  silent,  not  knowing  what  to  say  but  it  made  him  very  uncomfortable  talking  about  it.

 ''Where  you  two  close''?

 ''Yes  very''  he  said.  It  was  getting  late,  but  she  decided  to  get  on  her  skype  and  check  the  conversations  they  had.  It  was  about  three  weeks  ago  she  felt  a  chill  go  down  her  spine  closing  the  laptop.

  ''I  don't  mean  to  be  nosy...........but  how  did  he  die''.

  ''A  terrible  accident''  he  said.  She  got  up  and  sat on  his  bed,  trying  to  make  eye  contact.

 ''Sammy..........I want  you  to  know  that  i'm  here  for  you''.  He  looked  at  her  she  sounded  like  a  therapist.  But  that's  all  he  has  heard  during  the  last  four  years.  Everyone  he  knew  telling  him  how  they  would  be  there.  His  eyes  made  their  way  back  to  the  floor,  she  waited for  him  to  say  something  but  he  didn't.

  ''You  can't  be  there  for  me..........no one  can''.

  ''I  can  if  you  let  me.........were  in  the  same  boat''  she  said.

  ''I  don't  see  how....and  you  don't  understand''.

  ''Don't  understand  what''?

 ''The  pain.........how  i'm  felling''  he  said  trying  to  hold  his  emotions.  It  happened  like  this  everytime  he  spoke  on  his  father.

 ''Your  right  Sammy......I  can't  i'm  only  asking  to  let  me  help  you''.

  ''With  what''?

  ''Let  me  in..........i've  never  met  a  boy  like  you  before''  she  said  with  tears  in  her  eyes.

 ''Taylor........i've  kept  everyone  locked  out  for  so  long''.

  ''I  know''  she  brought  her  face  closer  to  his,  he  kissed  her  softly  stroking  her  brown  hair.  They  held  each  other  for  a second.

  ''Hey...we  should  enter  the  race''  he  said.

   ''Really''?

  ''Yeah......think  about  it  that  way  if  your  dad  did  enter  we  can  find  him''.  She  smiled  the  idea  never  came  to  her,  it  was  perfect.

  ''Your  right  i'm  in''.  They  would  enter  the  fourteenth  annual  Sailer's  Race.