Chapter 8

Now  sailing  wasn't  something  Sammy  was  use  to,  in  fact  he  never  been  out  to  the  ocean.  They  waited  on  the  deck  just  overlooking  the  water.  From  there  they  could  see  all  the  sailer's  coming  in.  The  race  was  just  three  days  away,  everyone  was  coming  out  to  see  the  preparations.

   ''We  need  a  boat  which one  looks  decent''?

   ''This  white  and  blue  one  looks  nice''.  Taylor  said.  They  needed  a  boat  to  compete  in  and  fast.  There  were  four  lined  up,  all  available  to  rent.

   ''Alittle  late  for  choosing  a  boat''?  they  turned  around,  a  tall  young  man  was  standing  there.  He  had  long  blonde  hair,  with  blue  eyes  that  matched  the  ocean.

  ''Hello  i'm  Kenny''  he  said.

  ''I'm  Taylor''.

  ''Im  Sammy''.  They  shook  his  hands,  as  he  glanced  at  the  row  of  boats.

 ''So  your  competing  in  the  race''?  he  asked.

 ''Right............were  alittle  late  like  you  said''.  He  laughed  pointing  at  a  medium  sized  boat  with  a  large  flag.

 ''This  one  looks  like  a winner''.  They  looked  at  it   which  was  in  decent  shape, but  it  also  was  the  smallest.

  ''I  like  it''  Taylor  said  smiling.

  ''I'm  going  to  be  racing.........it  will  be  my  sixth  overall''.

 ''Yes.....i  love  doing  it...i've  won  two  championships''  Kenny  said.

 ''Awesome''.

''Let  me  give  you  two  some  quick  tips.............it  can  get  very  rough  out  there''.  Taylor  looked  concerned  as they  walked  further  along  the  deck.  The  sun  was  just  starting  to  set.

 ''It's  hurricane  season,  that  always  made  the  racers  alert''  Kenny  said.

 ''How  bad  is  it''?  Taylor  asked.

 ''Really  bad.......but  it  depends  on  how  strong  the  storm  is''.  The  hurricanes  in  the  Pacific  caused  major  issues.  They  were  common  at  this  time  of  year,  in  some  cases  depending  on  how  strong  they  were.  The  coast  guards  were  often  sent  out  to  pick  up  the  stranded  people  who's  boats  were  destroyed.  Only  the  most  trained  sailer's  survived  the  raging  seas.  The  wind  also  played  a  role,  Sammy  and  Taylor  rented  their  boat.

 ''We  need  to  learn  how  to  navagate  this  thing''  she  said.

 ''Let  me  give  you  a  practice  lap,  i'll  show  you  everything''.  They  headed  out,  the  wind  was  picking  up  as  night  approuched.  He  showed  them  how  to  use  the  boat,  and  which  route  to  stay  on.

 ''Another  tip....if  you  ever  get  lost  use  your  flair  gun  to  send  out  a  signal''.

 ''Then  what''?  Sammy  asked.

 ''The  coast  guards  will  come  and  assist  you''.  They  went  back  standing  on  the  beach,  it  was  lit  up  with  all  kinds  of  bright  lights.  The  sailer's  were  camping  out  eating  and  drinking.

 ''I  hope  to  see  you  two  in  three  days''  Kenny  said  leaving.  They  stood  there  looking  at  the  ocean.

 ''Do  you  think  we  can  pull  this  off''?

 ''I  pray.......it's  the  only  way  i'm  going  to  save  my  father''  Taylor  said.

''The  grand  prize  is  $1,500...i've  heard''.

''Sounds  good  right''?

''Yeah.....these  kids  risk  their  lives  for  it''  Sammy  said.  She  looked  at  the  full  moon  up  ahead.

''I  miss  him  so  much''.

''You  two  were  close  i  can  tell''  Sammy  said  holding  her  to  his  chest.  ''Were  going  to  find  him''.  He  called  home  to  hear  his  mother's  voice,  while  Taylor  slept.  They  were  back  at  the  hotel  it  was  just  after  one  in  the  morning.  He  told  her  about  how  they  had  entered  the  race,  but  the  tone  in  her  voice  changed  quickly.  She  hated  the  thought  of  her  only  son  in  the  middle  of  the  ocean.  But  she  also  understood  what  this  meant  to  Taylor, and  how  it  could  help  him  aswell.  He  comforted  her  of  course  as  she  begged  him  not  to  race,  but  find  another  way.  He  couldn't  this  was  the  only  way,  plus  he  had  developed  feelings  for  Taylor.  He  sat  up  in  his  bed  watching  the  local  news as  he  listened  to  her.  The  storm  was  approuching  fast  with  high  winds.  The  race  was  just  three  days  away,  how  would  they  manage  this?  there  was  no  turning  back  now.