eight

(song for chapter: Lost / Heart - Cuco)

It felt like a dream. None of us said anything about it during the weeks that followed that event. We didn't change the way we acted around each other and it was never awkward.

Is he avoiding this because he wishes it had never happened?

I don't even know if I regret what happened myself.

{months later, winter}

His fingers intertwined with mine, in this moment we were invisible and the rest of the world didn't exist. His breath slightly smelled like his cigarettes but I could tell he had brushed his bright white teeth multiple times to try and hide it.

Then I woke up. I had fallen asleep on the desk.

"Josh?" Tyler called out.

"Hmm?" I said, rubbing my eyes.

"Did you finish the homework yet?" He asked.

I looked down at the sheet that I had finished an hour ago. All of us have been getting slammed with homework for the past few days and we've all been doing the work together as a group to get it done. Today, Bianca and Nathan are out on another date and Kate and Skylar went to visit their families. Leaving just Tyler and me.

"Oh uh yeah." I said.

I still remember what happened last time the other guys left Tyler and me together.

~Tyler~

Every time it's just Josh and I together, all I think about is what happened two months ago. Or actually, what didn't happen. We didn't do anything. We were just touching hands and really close to each other. It's just hard to talk about it. I think Josh regrets everything about it.

"Did you?" He asked.

"Yeah." I replied.

He's been working so hard to keep all his grades up, so I've started trying working as hard. It's stressing the both of us out. I stood up and packed my books into my bag.

"Well you know where to find me." I smiled.

I walked out of his room and into mine. I put the backpack onto my beanbag chair and laid down on the bed. Things are the same but they're also different. I don't even know how to explain it anymore. It's like a raging storm but you're inside, ignoring it all and carrying on with your day.

I can hear the front door open and close and footsteps coming up the stairs and another set of steps going around the house downstairs.

"Tyler of Joseph." Bianca said knocking on my door.

"Come in." I said.

"Señor, in an hour we are going to a house party down the street to celebrate how much work we've been doing." She smiled.

"You're in a good mood." I chuckled.

"Yup." She said. "C'mon it's a Friday and we've all been working so hard I think we deserve a bit of time to chill out"

"Ugh fine." I said.

"Thank youuuu!" She replied before leaving the room.

I got up an looked through my drawers for something to wear. I pulled out a black tee shirt and skinny jeans. I threw on a red adidas track jacket and a black hat. I pulled back the curtains on my window and saw that snow had piled up over half of the window. The streets were mostly cleared out this morning, leaving only a thin layer of gray slush. Sharp icicles had formed along the roof like translucent daggers.

After everyone got back, I showered and got dressed. I kinda missed going to parties. We just haven't been able to because of school. I'm waiting downstairs with Kate and Nathan. After a while, Josh walks downstairs. He's wearing black skinny jeans and a black Thrasher hoodie. I manage to pry my eyes away from him and I'm staring at my hands.