Chapter Four: Live Alittle

Millie sat on her bed, headphones in her ears as she doodled her journal. The whole house was dead silent and she was all alone. Like usual.  Her mind wandered to her parents, who never seemed to be with her.

Ever since they found out Millie was sick, they had become  distant.

They had always been distant to be fair, but after she was diagnosed with a rare type of cancer, they had seemed to vanish.

Ofcourse, Millie knew they loved her....somehow, in their own weird way. They spoiled Millie with things she didn't even need. For her eleventh birthday, they bought her a Barbie dream house with a set of twelve different Barbie's and a toy vehicle . For her thirteenth birthday they bought her various pink dresses.

Millie laughed at the thought, it was like they didn't know her at all. She didn't play with dolls and she didnt like wearing pink poofy dresses. They didnt realize that all she ever wanted was for her parents to spend time with her. To be there for her, she can't recall how many chemo sessions she had walked into alone. Her first appointment was when she was twelve, she went alone. The doctors couldn't believe it, a twelve year old going into this scary room all by herself, drowning in the fear of dying. and her parents aren't there with her.  No one to tell her everything is going to be ok. Even if it was a lie, she needed to hear it.

She had made a friend at the hospital a long time ago, her name was Maddie. Maddie Ziegler.

Maddie had broken her leg, so she ended up being in the same hospital as Millie.  She met  Maddie while helping around the hospital, putting new flowers in the rooms. One room happened to be Maddie's room. They became great friends in the time they knew eachother

But Millie had made the mistake of telling her that she had cancer. After that Maddie treated her like glass, so fragile. Eventually, she told Millie she didn't want to be friends with someone she knew was going to die anyways.

And that was the end of that.

Then her mind began to drift to a certain boy....The day she met Finn she debated whether to tell him she was sick. She decided not to, in fear he'd treat her differently. Millie found herself conjuring feelings for him. She knew she couldn't start anything, with all her treatment and the fact that she was going to die in the end anyways... She just couldn't put him through that. Millie never had a boyfriend, she hadn't even had her first kiss. She felt hopeless, her, a seventeen year old, never got to do anything a regular girl did. She had failed at being a teenager.

Millie was taken out of her memories when her phone began to ring.

"Hello?" Millie answered

"Hey Millie! It's Sadie." A very cheerful voice responded

"Hey Sads, what's up?" Millie asked, still doodling i her notebook. She had unknowingly drawn a heart with the intials F.W. written in the center

"Well, i was wondering if you wanted to go to the mall with me.  I need some time away from the boys and i was wondering if we could have some girl talk." Sadie informed

"Of course!" Millie let out.

"Great! See ya around two. Bye Mills." Sadie said

Millie instantly got up, it was 1:40pm already. She walked around, trying to put together an outfit. Just denim overalls and a longsleeved multicolored stripped shirt.

She tried to do something with her hair, but it never seemed to cooperate. Millie didn't mind though, she was one of those  lucky people with cancer who actually had hair. And she was so grateful for that. Beck's hair had fallen out, all of it. Every single follicle.  Millie remembered that day. Gladys had not shown up, and Millie found her crying in one of the storage rooms. How do you explain to a toddler that they are going to die? How can you tell anyone that?