chapter thirty eight

Tommy had never felt pain like this before. When he was in the war it had changed him and he had experiences he wouldn't want his worst enemy to adure. But here he was experiencing the worst pain he ever felt. In his arms was the one person he ever truly loved, the one person he would kill for and die for. His wife was lying in his arms, bleeding out. The shot in her upper chest was worsening. He looked up at two paramedics who came rushing in. A little stretcher with them. He moved out there way and allowed them to do there work. Polly came over to her nephew and knelt beside him gently kissing his forehead and flattening down his hair. He knew what Tatiana said now was true.

He looked up to see John, Arthur and Harry forcing everyone out. Finn walked over to Charlie and lay a comforting hand on his shoulder. Charlie was quiet innocent so this expression set him back. "Let's get you out of here" Polly whispered, helping him up. Michael was to his side instantly. They brought him outside where a huge crowd was gathered. They followed in a car close behind the ambulance.

They all rushed in and went straight to reception. "Ophelia Shelby" Tommy said, her blood still stained his hands. The nurse looked up at him and said. "She's in surgery at the moment but your more then welcome to wait in the waiting room, a doctor will come by to talk to you after her surgery". He nodded and followed Polly. Harry had taken his brother home, he also had to tell his aunt and uncle the horrific news.

"It should of been me". John muttered suddenly. Tommy, Arthur, Polly and Michael all looked up at him. He walked over to Tommy and knelt before him. "Please Thomas forgive me". Tommy shook his head and lay a gentle hand on his brothers cheek. "It wasn't your fault John, it was my own". He sighed and stood up. He couldn't help but pace. His thoughts flooding to his wife.

He remembered the moment he set eyes in her he felt a attraction towards her. He didn't no if it was her warm, gentle smile that always reached her eyes. Or the kindness she had for others. He knew he fell in love with her the moment he met her. He still loved her. He may of not shown her enough the love he had for her but he did. He looked at his brothers who sat side by side. Arthur looked at him and offered him a reassuring smile. John looked down at the ground. Tommy knew he blamed him self but it wasn't his fault. Polly sat by Michael, her hand rested on his knee. She looked up and met Tommy's eyes. Tears where forming in her own. He knew Polly and Ophelia where close.

It was hours he spent in the waiting room. The door opened and John and Mary walked in. "What happened?" Mary asked, fear evident in her voice. Polly rose from her seat, she knew Tommy didn't need this. "A man barged into the function. He had a gun and he shot her. I don't think Ophelia was his prime subject of being shot but she was. She's in surgery right now we are still waiting for the doctor to tell us some news".

John looked angry. He pointed a finger towards Tommy. "This is all your fault Thomas Shelby. I knew she shouldn't of married you. When she was attacked by that terrible man I sent her away to Manchester hoping she would be safe and when she returned I wished she had the sense to stay away from you but that girl was blinded with love the moment she met you". Mary shook her head and said. "John stop your heart". She turned to Tommy and said. "He didn't mean that, at all he is just angry Ophelia is like a daughter to us. Her marrying you is the best thing that could of happened to her Thomas. You make her so happy and you produced an amazing son".

Tommy shook his head and sat down. "He's right, she is to good for me I only bring down the people close to me". Polly frowned slightly at her nephew. She knew that in the past he would go against the families wishes and do things on his own. But at the end of the day he did it for the family. John walked towards him and placed his hand on his shoulder. "No son, I was wrong to say that Mary is right, I'm angry I should of never off taken it out on you". Tommy was going to say something but the door opened.

He stood when he saw a doctor walk in. "Mr Shelby...".