Chapter 3

"You think Jesse is a traitor?" Petra asked. Romeo nodded.

"There's something off about him, he's not like the other soldiers." He said. "There's a spark of hope within him."

"Surely it's not that big of a problem, he still has to weary of his actions with Nikki's fate in your hands." She replied.

"You don't understand, Petra." Romeo stood, looking down at her. "Do you know what starts a rebellion?"

Before Petra could answer, Romeo continued. "Rebellions are built on hope."

"Your point?" Petra asked.

Romeo sighed through his nose. "Sure, he has to be careful because of his sister, but hope spreads! It starts with Jesse, then another gets hopeful, and another, and another, until my whole army is turned against me because of hope!" He turned to her sharply. "You could get it!"

"You're talking about hope like it's a disease." She commented.

"Because it is!" Romeo exclaimed. "A horrible disease that spreads to all it comes in contact with, and like a disease, the larger the numbers, the stronger the force, and its chance of destroying the enemy becomes greater!"

"So how do we get rid of it?" Petra asked.

Romeo paced in thought for a moment or two before looking at her. "His troop leaves the day after tomorrow, I want you to follow him, keep an eye on him."

"For what?"

"To make sure that I'm right, and to see if his attitude affects anyone else...if you see a single ember of hope..."

"What do I do?" She asked.

"We'll decide that when you and his troop return." The Admin grinned.

"May I make a request?" Petra inquired.

"What?" He said

"With all due respect, my lord, I am well known throughout all the empire, anywhere I go people cower in fear. I draw quite a lot of attention." She said. "If I accompany Jesse's troop, and he is the traitor you think, he will make sure to act as oppositely so as possible."

"So you think I should send someone else?" He asked.

"Yes," She replied.

"And who do you think could possibly be subtler?"

"Ivor."

________

"Do you understand your orders?" Romeo asked.

Ivor nodded. "I will not fail you, master."

"You'd better not." The Admin threatened. "Now prepare to leave with the troop, they have a long journey, and that gives you many opportunities to observe this could-be traitor."

"Yes, my lord." With that, Ivor was gone. Once he was out of sight, he couldn't stop himself from smiling. 'Perfect.'

He hid in a box riding on one of the carriages as the troop began their journey.

When they stopped to rest for the night, Ivor quick took cover in the forest, trying to find Jesse from his treetop view. It took a bit, but soon he spotted the emerald-eyed boy. He laughed with the troops as they sat around a campfire.

It was now that he and the other soldiers could talk about anything, their problems, their fears, their hopes, and their dreams. Ivor noticed immediately that Romeo had been right. Jesse inspired hope in his fellow soldiers, and surely if allowed to progress, it would become a problem for the Admin. Ivor smiled. It was perfect.