Chapter 15

"You—did—WHAT?!" Romeo demanded, yelling into the face of the border captain that stood before him.

The captain flinched slightly, leaning away from the angered Admin. He gulped and repeated. "We cut the rope, sir."

Romeo's eyes glowed intensely, his red hair began to crackle aflame, he grabbed the captain by the collar of his uniform and easily lifted him off of his feet. His collar began to smoke slightly, burning under the small flames that danced off the Admin's fingers.

The captain's eye filled with fright as he stared into Romeo's furious yellow orbs.

"I said, I wanted her alive!" He growled. "And you cut the rope!"

The captain was petrified, not daring to speak. The Admin continued.

"I want you to take your men, go down there, and FIND THEM!" Romeo threw the captain down at his feet, causing him to grunt.

"Do—not, return until you've found those two or so help me you will all burn!" He exclaimed.

The captain swiftly stood and saluted. Before he could leave, Romeo said. "When you find them, you can kill the boy if he's even still alive, but you bring her back to me."

He nodded and scurried swiftly from the room, leaving the Admin to once again glare into the empty air.

After a few moments of silence, Romeo seemed to calm a bit, slumping back into his throne. His gaze turned to the side of the room, finding Stella with a pen scaling furiously across a paper on her clipboard. When done, she looked up, blinking when she found him watching her.

He sighed looking back to the closed doors. "Good help is hard to find."

She nodded solemnly, then jumped slightly when he stood from his seat again. He turned his glowing gaze back to her. "I'm retiring to my quarters, do not disturb me until she returns."

With that, in a spark of particles, he was gone, leaving Stella alone in the large empty throne room.

Thunder rumbled above, lightning occasionally lighting up the streets. Rain fell at an even pace, clicking, clacking, and spatting up the roofs and roads. Workers trod through the falling drops, often coatless and shivering compared to the guards and soldiers. Amongst the somewhat calm, the border captain raced upon the back of a nightmare.

In a flaming blur of shadow and hellish flame, the nightmare's were quick and agile, horse-like creatures. In truth, they were abominations created by the Admin, but they allowed important news to travel from the border to the capital in a span of a few hours.

The nightmare's flaming hooves pounded along the cobbled streets, sizzling and steaming slightly as the heat met the water. He tore through the capital and out towards the outer city.

The rain seemed to fall heavier and heavier as they neared the border, his visibility slowly diminished to just a few yards before him.

When they reached the border, the captain sprang off the horse and ran inside one of the towers. He quickly relayed the orders given by the Admin, taking a team outside the wall to search for the two in question.

"Go ahead and open it up!" The captain called over the roar of the rain.

A guard atop the tower nodded and disappeared inside.

Soon the ground began to rumble and shake, pistons cranked to life, pulling apart to the ground to reveal the giant lava pit below. Smoke and ash began to billow from the pit, a wave a heat radiated from below.

"Alright, you know your orders!" The captain looked at the others around him. "Find them!"

He could hear a few of them muttering to themselves, irritated that their search was for two surely dead people.