Chapter 18

Despite the quickness of the two to their feet, the strange man was quicker.

"Ah, ah, ah." He warned, holding a stick of dynamite in one hand, and a lit match in the other. He held the flame close to the short fuse. "Now tell me, who are you, and why are you here?"

Jesse felt like a fool for getting his hopes up. As he listened to the man speak, he realized that he sounded quite different from what he first thought he heard. The man was a little taller than them, wearing a thick hood over his bald head. A thin black mask was wrapped around his face.

"My hands are getting tired," He told them. "Answer me."

Jesse glanced at Petra then back to the man. "We...we're-"

Before he could finish, another figure came into view behind him. He was shorter than the other and slightly thinner. Pulling his hood back, the two saw that it was a she. A woman with curly, shoulder-length brunette hair and brown eyes.

She froze at the sight of them, then turned and saw the man. She then saw the match and the TNT and she sighed.

"Notch dang it, Magnus," She said, "Give—me—that!" She tried reaching for the match, but that man—Magnus apparently—held it higher above her to keep her from taking it.

She then blew, and the match went out.

"Elli," The man complained, "I'm trying to figure out who these two intruders are." He briefly eyed Jesse and Petra, who shared confused glances.

"Well, that doesn't mean you need to resort to blowing things up every time the opportunity presents itself!" The woman scolded. "Learn some self-control!"

Magnus pouted. "But I'm a griefer, and self-control is for people who think."

"I still have hope that there is some shred of a brain in that big head of yours, try to use it won't you, please." She replied.

Before he could reply, a third person ran into the igloo. It was a girl with a dark complexion, hazel eyes, and black hair. She looked rather panicked.

"Ellegaard!" She huffed and puffed as if she'd run for miles. "I can't find Axel!"

Both turned to look at her. "When did you notice he was gone?" Ellegaard asked

"Just a few minutes ago," She replied. "I tried looking for him, but the storm is pretty bad, and I didn't want to get lost too."

"Well, I'm sure everything will be fine," The woman replied, turning back to Magnus. She gestured outside with her eyes, but the griefer only blinked at her.

Ellegaard sighed again, closing her eyes and counting under her breath. When done, she looked up again and calmly told him. "You should probably try to find your stray apprentice before he freezes."

"Oh, yeah," Magnus said, turning to walk out, but then he froze. He whirled back around to look at Jesse and Petra, who had been standing there silently the entire time.

"Wait, what about them?" He asked, eyeing them again. Ellegaard glanced at them before pushing him out the entrance.

"They'll be fine." She assured nonchalantly.

"No, but what if they're trouble?" He whispered.

The woman shook her head. "They aren't, we'll be fine, now off you go."

With one final push, Magnus was out in the snow and later disappeared into the endless white.

Ellegaard dusted her hands and turned back to the girl and the two trespassers.