Chapter 10

Petra glanced at Jesse and Nikki from across the blacksmith's room and sighed. She was polishing her blue and gold armor in preparation for their adventure, and her mind had began wandering.

"They'll warm up to you." Lucas had told her just a few hours ago.

She doubted that. The siblings were very weary of her and often didn't speak to her. Not that she blamed them, but she knew that they would have to come to some kind of truce eventually. After all, the journey would surely be a wreak if the team didn't trust one another.

She was so deep in thought that she hadn't realized that she was scrubbing over the same spot over and over again. The blacksmith looked amused as he handed her back her golden sword.

"Here, freshly sharpened." He told her.

She examined it carefully before sliding it back in it's sheath and strapping it to her back. "Thank you." She said.

The blacksmith nodded before going back to work, crafting Nikki an iron sword.

A small clang drew Petra's attention to the other side of shop, quickly spotting Radar, who had accidentally knocked over a shield. His face flushed and he gave a hasty apology, trying to set it back up.

She shook her head in amusement before setting her polishing rag down and examining her work. Satisfied with it she began to strap on her armor.

She frowned when she noticed a leather strap in one of her gauntlets was ripped.

After finishing and not finding any other issues, she removed her armor and told the blacksmith about the strap. Once that was settled, she left for the practicing area, walking quicker when she realized that Jesse was watching her.

"Why are you staring at her?" Nikki asked, raising a brow at her brother.

Jesse turned his gaze back to her once Petra was out of sight. "I still don't trust her,"

"Me neither, but Lucas says that she's good, so I'm sure we can relax." She reassured, picking up an iron helmet.

"Easier said than done, I just have a bad feeling." He replied.

"She doesn't seem out of place or shifty," Radar spoke from beside the wall, drawing Jesse's attention. "I think she's good."

Jesse didn't reply, rather he turned his attention to the blacksmith as he approached the counter. He handed Nikki a bladeless hilt, letting her test the grip.

She nodded in approval and handed it back to him. "That's perfect, thank you."

He took it back and disappeared around the corner again.

"Oooh, this is nice." Radar spoke again, drawing only Nikki's attention this time. He lifted a shield from it's stand, his hand felt comfortable in the grip, and the weight wasn't too bad.

"It suits you," Nikki told him. "You should get it."

"You know what, I think I will." He replied, bringing it up to the counter.

While waiting for the blacksmith to return, he turned to Nikki and asked. "How good are you at melee?"

She shrugged. "I haven't practiced in several years, so your guess is as good as mine. Why?"

"I have zero experience with any weapons, so I was hoping maybe somebody could teach me." He replied.

Nikki vaguely gestured to Jesse, who had wandered to the other side of the shop. "Jesse has spent years fighting with a sword, so maybe you should ask him."