Chapter 7

Jesse had never known such despair. He'd lost his sister, the only family he had left in this cruel world, and he'd caused the death of every other soldier's family member. His heart was empty and void, his eyes glazed over into a dull green, and his face became sickly pale. He could feel the hateful gaze of the entire troop upon his back as he stood in the stocks. The Admin had decided to take one last swing at them all, locking them up in stocks for at least two weeks. They were to have no food, little water, and as many beatings as they could endure without death. Ivor joined in this punishment, needing at least one physical punishment in Romeo's opinion.

The rain still fell as the day progressed, growing slowly steadier. They had already faced their first beatings, their uniforms nothing but shreds upon their backs, and their wounds left to the mercy of the rain.

Night fell, and some lucky souls managed to find sleep, but not Jesse. He stayed wide awake, feeling like nothing but a hollowed out shell.

It wasn't until the wee hours of the morning that rushed footsteps drew Ivor's attention. He looked around, seeing a shadow pass by quickly in the dark.

A cloaked figure was soon next to him, picking the lock to Jesse's stock. They then turned and picked his.

"Who are y-" A hand swiftly reached his mouth as the figure pressed it's free fingers to their lips.

Jesse looked at them with the slightest glimmer of curiosity in his eyes, but he said nothing.

'Notch bless his soul,' Ivor thought as he looked at the boy. He knew how he felt.

The figure led them to the platform, which they very cautiously climbed onto. The figure looked around for a moment to make sure that no one was looking before they pulled back a piece of the execution restraints to reveal a trapdoor.

Ivor looked at it strangely, and Jesse blinked in confusion.

The figure waved for them to come closer, but they didn't. With a huff into the midnight air, they grabbed Ivor first, clamping a hand over his mouth as he started to protest.

They shoved him over to the trapdoor that gave way as soon as he put weight on it, and he fell into the dark depths below.

Jesse, gaining some sense about him, turned to run, thinking this was a trap that would lead to his death, but the figure caught him by his arm with a strong grip.

"Let GO-!" They pressed a hand firmly to his mouth.

"Shhhh!" They shushed.

Muffled protests came from behind the restricting hand as Jesse struggled to release himself. The figure pulled him close and whispered. "I'm not here to kill you, I'm saving you, now get your butt down there."

Jesse stopped and looked at the figure strangely. That voice sounded familiar, but he couldn't place it.

Quickly, the figure shoved him to the trapdoor. Before he could react, the trapdoor gave way and he tried not to scream. Fear rose in his chest as he raced down the dark pit. Who knew what awaited him down there!

Back on the surface, the cloaked figure looked around once more, clearing their tracks before stepping onto the trapdoor a few moments later, silently falling down into the earth behind the two escapees.

____________________

Her heartbeat having faded from her ears, Nikki's ears rang loudly as she felt herself falling. Her vision was dark, but her eyes were open, shifting around what she figured were her surroundings. Was this what it was like to be dead?

Feeling in her body slowly returned, and confusion overcame her. She wasn't falling, she was...

Sliding?