Chapter 7 - News

Lauren’s Point of View

In the car, the silence feels deafening. The plastic bag containing Nash’s suspicious purchase sits on the console between us and my hands lay dormant in my lap. My eyes find their way out of the window, tracing each contour of my hometown. 

The funny thing is, the more time I spend in it, the farther away it feels. The less it feels like home. I grew up here for eighteen long, painful years. Even drowning in pain, I managed to find some good. So why do I picture the tall buildings, skyscrapers, afternoons with books in our laps, every time the word home enters my mind. 

Nash drops me off at his apartment when we arrive there, then speeds directly away. No explanation. Nothing. 

I skip up to his floor, unlocking it. I throw my sweater onto the new couch I obtained for him and survey the area. 

“Brent?” I call. 

Hearing no answer, I wander into the kitchen. The counters were clean and wiped and the basinet that I kept in the common areas for Charlie was tucked into the corner by the fridge. A note was taped to the counter. 

Lo, 

Sophia and I took Charlie to the zoo. We figured you two needed more time together, and we’ll back later tonight. I have my phone on in case you need to reach us. 

-Bear Bear

My heart softened considerably when I read the nicknames that the two of us used for the other. Lo and Bear Bear. It sure as hell had been a long time since we’d used those. Since Nash left, I had the place to myself, but I really didn’t want to be alone. 

I pulled my phone from my pocket and walked to the terrace, shutting the French doors behind me. The air had a little nip and the sun was beginning to set. I shivered and pressed dial. 

The tone rang in my ears a few times before my heart’s desire was met. 

“Hi.” he sighed out. 

“Hi.” I mirrored, smiling feverishly. 

“What happened?” he asked, concern lacing his voice. I longed for him, but it was dangerous. 

“Paps.” is all I have to say before we start recounting our adventure through the streets of New York. I get teary thinking about his acts of kindness for me. I want his arms around me more than anything. 

“You know, I never finished The Time Traveler’s Wife.” I say. 

“I know, me neither.” he says, crackling emanating through the speaker. He must be moving around. My heart beats in time to his breaths, and I feel something rising in my throat. The words. The words that I want to say.