Chapter 12 - Exposed

Beth’s Point of View

I decided to take a bath to detox from my eventful day, so I got up from the kitchen and made my way to the bedroom. I happened to especially love my free-standing claw footed tub, not only for it's uniqueness but it's ability to create the perfect bubble bath. 

I looked at my reflection in the mirror over my dresser, examining how the corners of my mouth dragged down each time the bad things I was experiencing flitted through my mind. I combed my hair away from my face with my fingers and for a moment, I could almost see Pre-Beth. Before everything. Yes, I wasn't in the happiest relationship. Yes, I felt trapped. Yes, I was on rocky ground with my dad. But at least I wasn't completely alone then, right? 

I remember on my flight from Dallas to San Francisco, I made a point of sitting in the window seat so I could look out when we took off. My window covering was pulled up so that I could watch when we took off. I don't know why, it had always been my least favorite part of airplanes. It was the start of being trapped in a metal box with no escape for over three hours. But on the plane fleeing from my hometown, I was really anxious for the takeoff. At first, I thought it was because I couldn't get out of Dallas fast enough, and maybe that was partly true. But the better explanation was that I was excited. 

I had a chance at a new life, starting over. No one in Berkeley was going to know about my regretful decisions, unless I wanted them to. 

Up in the sky, you can't tell what is what. A patch of land is a patch of land. A cloud is a cloud. It doesn't matter where you came from, only where you're going. 

Berkeley mattered, I told myself. Berkeley matters. 

Enough was enough. I couldn't let a silly prank, or a silly person, ruin my life. Not like I'd done once before. I was prepared to let it all go and start fresh. 

If people wanted to follow, then great. If not, greater. 

I stripped my shirt and yoga pants off in my room, shimmying out of my undergarments too. A nice, hot bath would do just the trick. I'd be good as new. 

Gathering my clean clothes I would change into and my towel, I left my room and went down the hall to the bathroom. I was so wrapped up in my thoughts that I neglected to hear the singing. 

I opened the bathroom door and looked up. And screamed. And dropped my clothes and towel. 

My eyes burned in my sockets as they fixed on the person before me. "Beth! Oh my god," Bryan shouted, squirming and fumbling for a towel. He was completely naked. 

And, I realized with a start, so was I. 

I screamed again and ran straight for my room. I collapsed on my bed and punched my pillow, my insides turning with the wildfire spreading through my stomach. I couldn't help it; the image was seared into my eyelids.