Chapter 2: Didn't See THAT Coming!

• Dedicated to Brooke Shields

 A/N:Here's the second chapter!! I hope you all will enjoy! This chapter is dedicated to the lovely Brooke Shields! Today, the classic beauty turns 49!! With her grace and poise she's been a great role model for girls and young women. Happy Birthday Brooke!!

“Get up, we’re here.” I announced nudging Harry who sat in the passenger seat doing what all fourteen year old boys love to do – sleep.

It was a little after noon and we had just arrived at Brooke and Michael’s.  They owned a classic Tudor style home in a typical suburban New Jersey neighborhood. A few familiar cars sat in the driveway and I could get a glimpse activity in the back yard. “I’m up.” Harry announced groggily unbuckling his seatbelt. “Good, I thought you’d never get up.” I replied with a smile checking my refection before unbuckling my own safety belt.  Harry let out a faint yawn as we made our way to the front door. I rang the door bell and a minute later the heavy wooden door opens to reveal a doe eyed, curly headed little girl staring at us through the glass of the storm door.

“We’re here!” I announce smiling brightly at my niece, Sailor. She was the youngest of three girls, five years old. She’s got Brooke’s beauty and Michael’s bright brown eyes and she seems to have my spunky attitude. “What’s the password?” She ask in her little voice. Harry grins. “I like cheese.” He announces with a slight chuckle.  Sailor shook her head.  “But, I do like cheese.” Harry protested. I smiled. “I changed it.” Sailor replies.  “Can we at least have a hint?” I asked.  “Sailor!! Quit being such a baby!!” Comes a slightly more mature voice as Emma, another one of my nieces appears at the door. She’s nine, the middle child suffering from Jan Brady syndrome. Emma favors Michael more, only her eyes are lighter.

“Sorry Auntie Erin and Harry. You can come in.” She apologizes opening the storm door wide for us to enter. “Thanks Em. Let us know when you change the password again, okay Sail?” Harry asked bending down to ruffle the girls’ curls. “Harry!” They whined. The girls began jumping up and standing on their toes in an attempt to mess with Harry’s hair but failed miserably. I smiled at their interactions and headed to the kitchen where I knew Brooke would be.

“Guard this bowl with your life. Do not drop it.” Brooke instructed Rowan, the eldest daughter as she handed her a glass bowl of potato salad. The sleeves of her white blouse had been rolled up and her brown hair was pulled back into single French braid. I could tell she had been cooking for quite some time.”I could help.” I spoke catching their attention. “Auntie Erin!!” Rowan exclaimed gripping the bowl tight. She was twelve years old the perfect mix between Michael and Brooke. They’d made some stunning kids. Brooke looked up from her work and smiled. “Hiya Erin! Glad you finally came!” She exclaimed whipping her hands on her apron.  Brooke was pushing forty and still was gorgeous.

“I’m glad I’m here. Don’t think I could be doing anything better.” I replied with a smile. “Guess what Auntie Erin? I got a metal on the High bar.” Rowan announced. “Way to go girl!” I praised with a smile. Rowan smiled before heading out the kitchen door and into the back yard. The kitchen was silent for a while. “Where’s Harry? Did he have a last minute soccer game or something?” Brooke asked whipping down the kitchen counters. “No he’s here. He’s in the living room with Sail and Em. Once the food finishes he’ll make an appearance. Need any help with anything?” I asked trying to be helpful. Brooke shook her head. “Practically everything’s finished. I can change my clothes and then we can all eat.” She replied. She was just trying to get rid of me. She didn’t trust me in her kitchen. I couldn’t blame her though. I didn’t trust myself in my own.

“Well you know Michael’s going to want to see you. He’s outside.” Brooke announced untying her apron. I smiled. Whenever I came over I always looked forward to seeing Michael. Despite what had happened between us 15 years ago, we were still really good friends. I actually kind of liked the fact that he was my brother and law and my best friend. That way he could be a part of the family and I could still keep him close. But I could’ve had him all for myself.

“Kay, well I’ll see you outside.” I replied dismissing myself from the kitchen and heading into the back yard. An oblong table full of various foods sat along the gate and a few picnic tables and lawn chairs were scattered about the yard. People talked loudly and carried on conversations while children ran around, mostly Michael’s nieces and nephews. I spotted Michael; his back turned talking to his brother.  Even with his back turned I could spot him. I knew his physique well.

“Guess who?” I asked placing my hands over his eyes. I could feel his smirk.”Erin.” He declared taking my hands from his eyes and turning around to face me. Michael greeted me with a smile and pulled me in for a tight hug. I’d be lying if I said I didn’t get butterflies whenever I was around him. Even after all these years I couldn’t help myself.  It didn’t help any that at forty-two he was still hot stuff. I breathed in his cologne before pulling away. “Hey Tito.” I waved to his brother who waved politely back. I turned to Michael with a smile. “So, what’s new? How’s work?” I asked hoping to spark conversation.  Michael sighed running a hand through his curls. “It’s been busy as usual.” He replied. In the past 15 years Michael had worked his way up from pediatric nurse to pediatrician.  He had always had a love for children, since we were teenagers. And he was great at what he did. He even helped me deliver Harry.

“Well what about you?” He asked. I scoffed. “I’m just a photographer. My job can’t be nearly as stressful as yours. I heard your little girl got a metal in gymnastics.” I replied. Michael smiled. “She did. Where’s my favorite nephew?” He asked referring to Harry. “He’s inside.” I replied with a smile. There was a silence between us and Brooke came out of the house in a pretty sundress, the children trailing behind her. Something about Michael’s expression changed upon seeing Brooke.  He grabbed my hand. “You know, I wish we had more time to ourselves. To catch up, you know?” Michael spoke. My eyebrows shot up. “Well, we’ve both got families so time to ourselves is pretty non-existent.” I replied with a chuckle.  He leads me away from the crowd. “Erin, I have to talk to you.” Michael declares. “We are talking.” I reply. Michael shakes his head.  “I have to talk to you, but I can’t talk to you out here.”

I began to worry. “Well, if you can’t tell me here, let’s go inside. Everybody seems to be outside.” I suggested. Michael said nothing a leads me into the kitchen.  I sit down at the table making myself comfortable. Michael just stands. He makes sure the house is empty before speaking. “What is it you need to tell me?” I ask. Michael locks eyes with me and takes a deep breath.

“Brooke and I are getting a divorce.”