Chapter 16

“Sky. I need your help,” I said.

“Yeah, well, make it short. I have homework to do,” she snapped.

“Lie. You never do your homework,” I said.

“Well, if it’s about that brat Bridget, I’m not going to listen,” she snapped.

“No, it’s about… Connor,” I said.

This caught her attention and she began to listen.

“Oh! Has golden boy done something wrong?” she said in a child-like tone.

“Sky, this is serious. He cheated on me,” I said.

She paused a moment before she spoke.

“That’s totally not true! He would never. Who told you that?” she said with a harsh tone.

“Bridget.”

“Cara, I never thought of you as stupid. Bridget is a complete liar.  Of course, she would tell you that, she’s always liked Connor!” She said, now angry at the situation.

Was Sky telling the truth?

“She has?” I asked in a state of bewilderment.

“Oh, you’ve got to be kidding me. Have you seen the way she flaunts herself around him? Plus, everyone likes Connor,” she said.

That reminded me of all the times she smiled a bit too long or “asked for his help on math homework.” That made me grit my teeth.

“Well, there’s only one thing we can do. We have to take down Bridget and her little minion, Brooklyn, too,” Sky said.

“After all, pretty girls like us don’t get hurt,” she scoffed.

I laughed at her conceited ways.

I could only hope she was right.

    After Sky told me about Bridget, I was paranoid and never sat by her.  I realized ever since Connor and I had broken up, Bridget had been all over him. It honestly made me feel sick when I saw her get way too close to him, but he didn’t seem interested.

Sky seemed to be plotting something, and it fit her strong personality trait of manipulation.  Sky was a book with no words.  She left you  to make up your own story about her and believe it.

“I’ll think of something,” she reassured me as I watched Bridget flirt with Connor.

He just kept on looking at me with confused expressions.

He was probably thinking about why I would be hanging out with Sky of all people. I had to get him out of my mind!  Sky tried to reassure me.  I hadn’t really talked to Luke or Blake either because they were more Connor’s friends. It wasn’t until Luke approached me that my shell broke. Of course, Luke. He knew he could talk me into anything. He was just too…believable.

“Cara. What’s the issue here?” he asked.

We were alone in the parking lot after school when he decided to talk to me. I opened the door to my red Mercedes, and then I climbed into my seat.

“What issue?” I asked even though I knew what he was referring to.

“Connor,” he said.

“He cheated on me and Bridget  told me about it,” I said.

“You believe her? Never,” he responded.

“Why wouldn’t I believe her?” I snapped.

Then I heard another pair of steps come behind Luke. Just my luck.