No Return

"I don't think I have a choice." I said quietly.

"Why not? You do have a free will, don't you?" Justin asked, worry evident on his face.

"Yes, but as she is still considered a minor, our parents make the decisions for her. Especially if it pertains to her education." Adam responded.

"Ada, tell me truthfully. Are you going to let your parents control you? When will you be able to visit us? Will you be able to visit at all?" Alfie said, finally looking into my eyes.

I was heartbroken.

I just stared at him, soaking in his pain. Alfie and I had been best friends ever since I could remember.  I looked up to see everyone else's faces looking at me. Looking at Adam, I silently begged with my eyes. His eyes were soft, and he nodded.

"Yeah, I'll visit you guys as many times as I can. I can't say if I'll return permanently, but as you can see, I'm a princess. I think it would be very difficult to suddenly leave without understanding my position. Give me some time. But I really want to spend this week with you guys. " I said.

"Alright, g'night y'all. I'm gonna go crash" Justin said breaking the tense silence. They left to go to their rooms with Julia. Alfie brushed past me and left Adam and I in the garden.

I didn't want it to seem like I had chosen my new life over the other, but it sure did seem like it.

"And then there were two. Let's get going. Nights in Valadralia can get chilly, and I don't want to be the one to blame if you catch a cold." Adam said, taking my arm and walking towards the castle.

"When will I get to properly meet our parents? I haven't seen them very much." I questioned him.

"They are very busy. I'm surprised they came to the dinner. Half the time they are in another country." He said.

"Oh, but I want to talk to them. I barely know them." I replied.

"You will, Ada. Just give them time."

He stopped outside my room and left for his own room. I walked into my room and sat in the chair. School would be started a week after my friends left.

This week was all I had left.