Chapter 20

20.

“Omar! Let’s go!” I yell up to my little brother from the bottom of the staircase. I made it home just in time to see a new text from Zane. I’m about to turn into Jell-O, my knees are going weak and I am full of excitement.

 Where should we meet?

 I text back right away and think of a place that not that many people will recognize us at. When I think of the place I smile in triumph and text it to him.

 “I’m coming! Make sure you have loads of money on you because I’m going to suck you dry!” Omar teases from the top of the stairs throwing down a shirt that lands right next to my feet.

 “You better watch that trap of yours before I get you nothing! I’ll be in the car.” I holler back heading out of the door, very impatient at the moment.

 I wait for a couple of minutes before a head pops at the window and a hand starts banging on the door. I unlock it before Omar breaks my baby.

 “Watch it loser.” I say locking the doors and buckling up.

 “You’re the loser, I’m getting toys.” He says sticking his tongue at me and buckling himself in as well.

 I ignore his nonsense and drive out heading to the toy store. Well at least that is what my little brother thinks were going to. The drive is about twenty-five minutes because I just want to make sure I am at the farthest one that no one will recognize me at.

 I park the car and see that Zane is already standing right outside the place I told him to meet us at. I look to my right to see my little brother’s reaction. His face is clouded with confusion and rejection.

 I turn the car off and head out to meet my man. I don’t notice if my brother comes along or not but step up onto the sidewalk about to give him a hug when he raises his hand for a high five. I am shocked at being rejected by him and the dream from this morning is coming alive in my head again. 

 “Hey friend!” Zane says outstretching the high five again. I hit it with gloominess and no understanding. Zane winks at me and whispers ever so quietly. “Your little brother.”

I look back at the car and see my little brother staring at us wish curious eyes, his arms are crossed over his chest and his face is in the form of a scowl. I certainly popped his joyful bubble.

 I go over and open his door telling him to come out. “I want you to meet someone Omar.” I say loud enough for him to hear a threat that was going to be coming if he didn’t cooperate. He looks at me and gets out of the car walking to a quiet Zane.

 “Hey man what’s up, I’m Zane.” Zane says stretching his hand out for a shake. My little brother looks at him for a moment before taking his hand and giving it a firm round.

 “Are you going to be toy shopping with us? Or are you Layla's boyfriend?” Omar asks out of nowhere. I freeze in my tracks and look wide-eyed to a composed Zane. I wonder what he has up his sleeve.

 “Yeah is that alright with you? I want to get you something too big guy, and no I’m not your sisters boyfriend. I am already taken. I’m just really bored and my girlfriend is busy at the moment.” Zane says with a pearly white smile.

 “You want to buy me something? Why?” Omar asks at little grin forming at his mouth.

 “Well you are letting me come, so I want to get you something in return.” He says sticking his hands in his khaki shorts, tricking my brother with his innocent actions.

 “Awesome! Layla I like this guy! Can he come with us all the time?” Omar cheers about to walk into the store.

 He looks at the inside and notices that this was not the toy store. “Hey why are we at the dollar store?” Omar says looking crushed.