Chapter 5

5.

The next day I felt exhausted. I didn't sleep last night, because my mind was full of thoughts of Zane. I was excited and thrilled to hear he was going to be working with me at my fathers office starting Monday. I hope he felt the same way.

I was slumped on the couch in the family room not paying any attention to the T.V. I couldn't stop thinking about him. He revolved around my mind more than anyone. Which reminded me to call my best friend. Shes probably going to kill me for not calling her back, but I was really busy. I should just get it over with.

Okay, here's what I'm going to say. I didn't call you back, because I met this guy. No. I couldn't call you back, because I was sick. No. I shouldn't lie. Alright, this is much harder than I thought. I might as well tell her the truth. I mean she is my best friend.

I reached into my jeans pocket and grabbed my phone. I opened it and dialed Dana's number. It started to ring, while I was muting the television.

One.

Two.

Three.

"Hello? Layla? I'm going to kill you!" Dana says through the phone out of breath.

"I know, I know. Just bare with me, because I have the best explanation." I say not really having any clue what I'm going to tell her.

"Oh really? Well I would love to hear what its going to be this time. Did you trip and brake your hand so you couldn't call? Or did your little brother steal your phone, when he obviously has his own? " She says a little aggravated.

"Listen I'm sorry okay. I was caught up with everything that's going on around here. I have a new job with my father, I'm house hunting, and starting college is really stressful. My brain doesn't have the capacity level for all this. How are you though?" I ask walking back and forth around the room picking my nails.

I hear her take a deep breath through the phone before answering.

"Let's go shopping." She says like nothing I have said means anything to her.

"Um...yeah sure. Sound great!" I say perking up.

"Can you do two? I'm at the gym right now."

"Yeah I can do two, but why shopping all of a sudden?" I ask curious.

"We need to go shopping because talking on the phone doesn't serve any justice on just how much I miss you, and we need to get you some more sophisticated clothing." She says laughing.

I laugh at how stupid her reason was, but I did miss her.

"Okay see you at the mall then babe." I say turning the muted television off and heading upstairs to get ready.

"Bye love." She says hanging up.

"Bye." I say, even though she wasn't on the other line.

It was one. I had an hour to get ready and head to the mall. I don't know what she meant by sophisticated clothing, but I was curious as to what she had in mind.

I was in my bathroom putting make-up on and adding mouse to my tangled hair. I never had to brush my hair because it would come out like a poof ball. So when it was wet I would leave it up to mother nature to air dry it for me. I was very lucky for that. I hated dealing with my hair. I wonder what it would be like to shave it all off.

When I was satisfied with my face, I went to my walk in closet to pick an outfit. I was feeling pretty good, so I chose a long black fitted cami with a white shrug. Picked some dark blue skinny jeans, and black high heeled boots. This outfit definitely made me feel like a bad girl. Someone I could never be.