Thomas//Stood Up

Word Count:1230

************

I checked my phone for at least the hundredth time tonight, scrolling through the dozens of texts I had sent, wondering when my date would get here- if he was coming at all.

This was supposed to be our third date, and I had really enjoyed the first two. While we hadn't been very far in the relationship, sitting here alone still gave me an awful feeling and it was humiliating.

I had been waiting for over an hour, alone at a table for two, telling the waiter time and time again that I just needed to wait a bit longer. His looks of annoyance each time had slowly melted into looks of pity, embarrassing me all the more. Even the customers at other tables shot me looks of sympathy as they collected their things and left.

I just stared out of the window next to our table, tears pricking the corners of my eyes as I finally accepted that I had been stood up. Watching the sun dipping below the horizon across the street as dusk settled in, I did my best to control my emotions. If I had to get up and walk out of here alone, I at least didn't want everyone in the restaurant to see me crying.

I dropped my head, staring into my lap as I twisted and pulled at my fingers, a nervous habit of mine. My curled hair dropped on either side of my face as I took deep breaths. When I finally felt it was safe, I picked up my bag, dropping my phone in it, and slid along the booth chair to get up, tucking a strand of hair behind my ear.

As I stood, I noticed an unfamiliar figure walk toward me, their focus directly on me.

"Love, I'm so, so sorry. Traffic was awful, and my phone died so I couldn't text you. Thank you for waiting for me for so long," the stranger stated loudly, grasping my hand and squeezing gently. "My name's Thomas. Just roll with it, " he muttered quietly, leaning toward me with a small wink.

I stood for a moment in shocked silence before he tugged on my fingers, pulling me back to reality. I put a smile on my face and slid back into the seat while he positioned himself across from me. We gave each other slightly uncomfortable smiles as he picked up the menus, offering me one.

I waved it off. "I've already looked," I said quietly. "I had to do something while I was just sitting here."

"About that, I'm really sorry you had to sit here all alone. Whoever was supposed to meet you here, he's not worth it," he stated. Then he dropped his voice, intending for me not to hear when he said, "You'd have to be a real dick to pass up on a date with such a beautiful girl."

I began playing with my fingers again, staring into my lap as I felt the heat rising in my cheeks. "Thanks. It's not your fault." I replied shyly. "Thank you for stepping in. You really didn't have to do that."

Thomas looked up, grinned at me, and then returns to his menu.

"Why did you, by the way?" I asked, suddenly curious as he finally decided on a meal and closed his menu, putting it away. "Why did you come in here?"

"Well, I came by about 20 minutes ago, going to the little shop next door and I saw you through the window," he gestured to the window you had been looking out of only moments ago. "I couldn't help but notice that you looked really upset. When I passed by again just a few moments ago, you were still alone, and you looked on the verge of tears."

"I put two and two together and figured that I might as well step in. I've had my fair share of being stood up, so I know how awful it is. I didn't want you to have to leave alone." He gave me a soft, reassuring smile.

"Well... thank you- again." I finally looked up at him. "It really means a lot."

We just sat in silence for a few long moments, staring at each other and smiling. It was then that the waiter returned, the surprise evident on his face as he noticed Thomas sitting there. It was clear that, like me, he hadn't expected anyone to show up.

"A-Are you two ready to order?" he stuttered. We both nodded and ordered our food. Thomas ordered his drink as well, and I just asked for a refill, seeing as I had been sipping on mine for a while.

The rest of the dinner proceeded without incident. Thomas and I got to know each other better, and we both just had a really nice time. I learned that Thomas enjoyed playing bass and riding motorbikes. We bonded over our mutual love of Star Wars, and I told him about my interest in working with animals and the volunteer work I did with some of the local shelters. Talking to him came naturally, and I felt a relaxed comfort with him that I hadn't felt with any other guy before.

Halfway through, Thomas set down his fork. "I've got to use the restroom. I'll be right back," he smiled, standing and walking away from the table.

I continued eating until I felt a buzz coming from my bag on the seat next to me. Pulling my phone out, I read the text that had appeared on the lock screen

"Not coming tonight."

No explanation. Not even an apology. Yeah, thanks for the heads up an hour and a half late.

I typed a message back to him and sent it.

"Yeah, thanks for that. Ended up having dinner with a really nice guy. Don't bother texting to reschedule."

"Everything alright?" Thomas said as he slid back into his seat.

I smiled and nodded. "Yeah, everything's great."

We resumed conversation and once again, our waiter came up.

"Do you guys have room for any dessert tonight?" he asked. Thomas looked at me with a questioning look, his eyebrows raised.

I shook my head in silence. "We're good. Just the check please," he smiled at the waiter.

When the waiter finally returned, he set the check down on the table. I reach for it, but Thomas snatched it away before I could even get a finger on it.

"You've gone through enough tonight," he said, pulling the money out of his pocket. "The least I can do is pay for your meal."

Even when I persisted, he shook his head and smirked. When I finally gave up, I thanked him.

Eventually, the two of us stood and walked out of the restaurant together.

"I had a really nice time," I smiled, staring at my feet as Thomas walked me to my car.

"Yeah, for an impromptu date it wasn't too bad," he replied jokingly. I laughed alongside him.

We reached my car and turned to face him, looking up into his eyes.

"Would you.. uh... like to have dinner together again? On purpose this time."

"Yeah," I giggled. "I'd love that."

So I gave him my number, said goodbye, and got in my car to go home.

Maybe there are still some good guys left in the world.