|Chapter 20| To resolve.

The rest of the day only got worse and worse.

Grillby hadn't fully talked to me, only mumbled some questions to himself, questions about what he was going to do next, and things about Fuku and me.

The happy and joyful mood Grillby and I had, shattered into a million pieces.

Fuku got called to the school's office due to the predicament. I had established that Fuku should stay at a friend's house for now, since she has nothing else left... I didn't want to bother Grillby with that business, he seemed too distraught to get his worries on that as well.

I didn't know what to do after that. Obviously, we don't have the pub with it's built-in house, so we would need to room somewhere...

The inn possibly?

I left the somber fire man and to the Snowdin inn. When I had entered, the bunny running it, had a sympathetic look. She frowned with compassion, and I smiled with sadness. I walked up to the counter, and absentmindedly rubbed my eyes, just in case there was any tears.

"How much for two rooms?" I spoke, wiping away the last bit of mist in my eyes.

"Oh dearie! It's on the house." The owner offered, but I lifted up my hand.

"No no. You need your money as much as we do. I'll pay the normal price." I started to get out my gold.

"Honey! How about this: if you don't want to get free rooms and pay me the full price, how about you... Go to a friend's house? I would have gladly take your money, but, you need your gold, for the situation with you and Grillby. Please, it's better for both of us! We don't have to clean and you don't have to pa-"

"Alright. I see your point." I tried to smile at them, but all that came out with it were tears. "Your rooms are great by the way." I commented, then left the establishment on a quick note.

I didn't know what to think about that bunny lady. She was so kind, and she even understood what I was getting at. I wanted the room at full price and not to have felt like I needed to pay someone back, but she shoved that situation away! Didn't do it in the most logical way, but she tried to make it better for both of us.

She also gave me the option to ask a friend.

Toriel maybe?

No, the time I was there I didn't see enough rooms for Grillby and I.

Meanwhile... A certain pair of rude skeletons did have a mighty fine house, and possibly the room for it. I bet Sans would allow Grillby in, and if he doesn't want me in, I could persuade Papyrus into getting me in.
This whole ordeal makes me seem like a free-loader.

If only I had been more assertive, then this whole elaborate plan wouldn't be needed...

I went over to the big, festive house. The pirate flag on top made me wonder how they got all of this stuff. They couldn't mass produce things like this, so they must have gotten it somewhere and somehow from humans.

I knocked on the door, and only waited a few seconds. I got an immediate answer from the one and only Papyrus, who screamed in my face at the joy of seeing me at their house. He was about to push me in, when I moved his gloved hands away from me and I explained what was going on and why I was at his door.

I was surprised at how attentive he could be when listening. He only asked a question when I said a word he didn't know. Afterwards, he went off to go tell his brother. I had turned on my heel and ran away to get Grillby. He was still in his own world, looking at all the damage he caused.

I called his name, making him look up from the floor. I saw his eyes still in tears, and that made me a bit watery as well. I quickly explained what I did and then ran back to Sans and Papyrus's house, with Grillby's quick steps trailing behind me.

"Oh, so you didn't leave after all." Sans cocked an eyebrow at me, when I got in his line of vision.

"No. Just got Grillby. So, is it okay if we..."

"Of course of course! I could take the couch, and you and Grillby could take my room." Sans gestured for us to go inside, and before I had registered what he said, the door closed behind us. I turned my head towards Sans with a flustered look, and he just laughed at my embarrassment. Grillby seemed too out of it to think about what the rooming situation would have to be. 

"THE GREAT PAPYRUS WOULD MAKE YOU A SPAGHETTI, ONE WITH THE BESTEST OF INGREDIENTS FOR THE ONE AND ONLY Y/N AND GRILLBY!" And with that exclamation, Papyrus ran off to what I assumed was the kitchen. This left me with Sans and Grillby. 

Grillby had his head turned a separate direction, thinking about things that I didn't know about, and he mumbled some things in which I felt hopeless about. I looked over to Sans, stood see what his expression would be about, and he looked to me with confusion. I gave a silent confused expression, which he replied with a shrug. Gee thanks for the info Sans. That helped quite a bit.

I looked up to the stairs that was on our left. I gestured for Sans to lead the way, and when he finally got the message, he uttered an 'oh.' and casually led me with or without Grillby. He showed the first door to be Papyrus's room, and the door with the mysterious flames creeping out from under the door, to be his room. I looked to him with some more puzzlement, and he just shrugged, grinning. I rolled my eyes, and leaned on one foot.

"Do you guys have a bathroom?" I asked.

"Why would skeletons need a bathroom?" Sans counteracted. 

"Good point." I put my hand to my chin.

"But we do have one under the stairs." Sans all of a sudden disappeared, and reappeared at the bottom steps. I would have sworn that Sans didn't quickly step down the steps when I wasn't looking, and also the surety that there wasn't a door beneath the stairwell. I stepped down the stairs, and gazed at the wooden door settled in the wall of the stairs. I furrowed my eyebrows and eyes to really wonder if it was truly there the whole time. I stopped pondering over it when I heard Papyrus's screech from the kitchen.

"THE SPAGHETTI'S READY!" He notified everyone and all of Snowdin. I pivoted on my heel, looking at and smelling the spaghetti that Papyrus has graciously prepared for us. When I got closer and gazed at it, I had spotted tiny, shiny specs of what seems to be glitter. Oh how I wish we could have Grillby's right about now...

"Wow!..." I faked my enthusiasm. "This sure seems... sparkly."

"WHY THANK YOU Y/N! I, HAD CRAFTED THIS FINE DELICACY WITH THE SHINIEST OF SPARKLES, PROVIDED BY MTT THEM-SELF! AND I HAD SMASHED THE TOMATOES LIKE UNDYNE HAD SHOWED ME! THE PASTA WAS CHOSEN WITH THOUGHT, AND CAREFULLY COOKED IN A POT OF SUPER BUBBLY WATER! NYEHEHEH! THE FOAM WAS JUST TOO MUCH! I HAD TO RESCUE THOSE NOODLES BEFORE THEY WOULD GET FULLY SUBMERGED IN THE WONDROUS, BUT HOT BUBBLES." Papyrus explained in detail of his, amazing, plate of spaghetti. I looked at Sans's and Grillby's expressions, to see what they would think about Papyrus's glittery pasta. Grillby had a far-away look, meanwhile Sans looked a bit sickly.

My curiosity was pulling at my common sense.

I wanted to try a bite of Papyrus's spaghetti.

I lifted up a forkful of pasta, with the chunky red sauce and glamorous pasta, and chewed on the forkful.

It was crunchy...

I scrunched my face a bit, due to the fact that it felt like I was eating egg shells. I swallowed, regretfully, and I gave a thumbs up. To my reaction, Papyrus was overjoyed at my liking for his spaghetti. I thought I could see stars in his eyes, as he cupped his skull with his hands, and he was slack-jawed. I felt like eating that meal wasn't as bad as it was, when I saw the happy skeleton.

I snuck a glance at Sans, who gave me a thumbs up. Guess I was on his good side now. Grillby, on the other hand, held the same facial expression, with the far away look, deep and lost in thought. A part of me, felt like I should interact with Grillby, just so he could stop being... out of it, but another side of me, wanted to be social with the font brothers, and away from the stress.

I had wanted to choose both.

But, if I were to do both, I would only be less joyful.

I went with the decision leading to the one that appealed to more people, and specifically the eccentric one.