Chapter 3

"Dazai please can you just sit still for one minute?" Chuuya pleaded as Dazai ran around his apartment, excited at the change in accommodation.

As soon as Mori had left, Chuuya filled in and signed all the paperwork putting Dazai under his care and brought him home, but the longer Dazai was around, the more he was regretting every life decision that could have led up to this event.

"But this is so fun!" He continued running around, looking at everything that was vaguely interesting. "We've moved! We've moved!"

Coming from a man who was five-foot-eleven, it looked ridiculous, even if it was Dazai who was doing it. He was quite literally running around; picking things up; putting them down again; peering at things curiously; waving his arms about; anything your average three-year-old might do. When he started to jump on the bed, Chuuya snapped.

"Dazai get down from there right now and sit still!"

Dazai stopped jumping immediately, staring at Chuuya. He slowly sat down, but much to Chuuya's surprise, Dazai looked upset. In fact, Dazai looked like he was about to cry. Chuuya, who was used to the ruthless, heartless, Dazai of the Port Mafia, who rarely showed genuine emotion, was now suddenly faced with a completely different Dazai who looked like he would burst into tears if anyone so much as shouted at him. Chuuya was at a loss about what to do. He'd never been very tolerant with children and he hated it when they whined or started crying loudly, so he didn't know the first thing about how to look after one.

Dazai couldn't quite comprehend why Chuuya had shouted at him. He understood enough to know that it was because he had been jumping on the bed, but he wondered why he shouted so loudly. He'd never done it before. Dazai felt the tears welling up in his eyes as he slowly sat down on the bed, but didn't know what to do with them. So he just sat there, staring at Chuuya, who by now had stopped looking angry again.

Chuuya sighed and rubbed his eyes, he knew he was going to have to change his attitude, but he really didn't want to. "I'm sorry, Dazai..." Apologising felt strange and he really hated how the words sounded in his mouth.

Dazai slid off the bed and inched over to him, holding his arms out for a hug. Chuuya sighed and gave him one, intending it to be quick before Dazai practically trapped him, preventing him from pulling away.

"Dazai you need to let go now..." Chuuya was irritated but he couldn't do anything about it. Dazai simply shook his head and hugged Chuuya tighter. Chuuya sighed and hugged Dazai back, for more than a couple of seconds this time. After about a minute Dazai let go, looking down at his feet.

"Sorry, Chuuya...I won't jump on the bed again..." Dazai mumbled to his feet.

"It's alright, Dazai...you know not to jump on the bed now. Just, try to listen to me, ok?"

Dazai nodded and immediately brightened up again. "Ok!"

"Right..." Chuuya sighed, "Dazai, can you sit still for me? I need to sort a couple of things out, but you running around isn't going to help."

"Ok!" Dazai ran over to a chair and sat down.

"And Dazai, you don't have to run everywhere, just walk, ok?"

"Ok!"

Chuuya set to work finding extra blankets and pillows so Dazai could sleep relatively comfortably on the sofa. After that, he took anything valuable and locked it up in the safe, hoping Dazai wasn't still smart enough to crack the code. He then glanced across at Dazai, who was still sitting on the chair, watching him.

"Alright, come on, Dazai. We need to go and see Mori." Chuuya sighed and went to the door, opening it. Dazai jumped off his chair and ran to the door, going outside and looking around again.