sound.

I walked onto the stage with Muiki, sheet music in hand, a violin in hers. I could hear the whispers, even on the stage as people realised who the accompanist was. I took a deep breath, and bowed as the audience began to clap. I adjusted the seat, and sat down. I set the sheet music on the stand, and I allow my fingers to gently rest on the keys. I looked at Muiki, and we began to play. 

It felt amazing to finally be able to express myself as I listened to the music ringing through the auditorium. Good, I thought. I can still hear the notes. 

We played for a little bit longer, in perfect synch, before I was sucked into the performance. My eyes widened as the beautiful sound of the violin and the piano faded into the distance, and replaced with the clicking of the keys which mocked me. 

Click. Click. Click.

Click Click.

Click. Click. Click click click. 

What the hell?

Click. 

Click. Click click. 

Why now?

Click.

This must be a punishment.

Click. Click.

Click. 

I thought of the sound of the piano and Muiki's violin. I realised that through out the week, I had had the sheet music somewhere in sight, I had been listening to the song on repeat for hours. 

I knew it by heart.

I began to hear the piano again.

No, not the piano.

I heard what it was supposed to sound like, within me. The clicking faded away. I could hear everything once again. As I looked at the crowd, I saw their expressions, and I noticed something. My sound had changed. I was so surprised that I missed my cue, throwing Muiki off. I picked up where she left off, but it didn't sound as good as it did before. 

When we were finished, I stood and bowed to the crowd, who were cheering like we had just won the final point in a soccer match. As we walked off the stage, I felt the darkness threatening to engulf me, but I was too weak to stop it. I collapsed to the floor, still on stage. 

Yuri! was the last thing I heard before the darkness wrapped me up, like I was the prey of a spider swaddled in cobwebs.