Chapter 13

Running my hands along the golden walls, I feel the bump of the engraving against my skin. My bare feet slap against the marble floor as it skids on my toes.

"Harriet? What are you doing?" A deep voice asks.

Raising my head at Uncle Thor's voice, he smiles at me. Lowering my hand, i stop walking as my Uncle stands in front of me. His red cape flows around his ankles, and his armour crunches with each step.

"I'm taking a walk." I admit.

"Are you well enough to be walking? You did only wake up yesterday."

"I'm fine Uncle." I insist.

"Are you hungry, Harriet?" Thor questions.

"Yes and can you please call me Hattie?"

"Fine, but you can explain it to Clint." He grumbles.

"What do you mean?" I quiz.

Uncle starts to walk back down the gold corridor. I start to jog after him, until my feet move in sync with his.

"Clint chose your name when I bought you to SHIELD." Uncle announces.

"I didn't know that." I whisper.

Uncle Thor places his palm on the back of my neck. He stops me suddenly, following his eye line I see Sif stood at the end of the corridor. Her midnight black hair flowing down onto her armoured shoulders and she grips her sword protectively.

"Morning Sif." I smile.

"Good morning Harriet." She mutters, trying to smile but instead looking aggressive.

"Can I go on ahead Uncle?" I ask, looking up at him.

"Of course. Just be careful, Hattie."

I start to walk, but stop as I reach the giant wooden doorway.

"Thanks for calling me Hattie!" I exclaim, before wandering into the huge hall.

There's rows and rows of wooden tables, with food lined in the middle and benches either side. Everyone is already inside, eating and chatting. One person notices me, then they all stop talking to look at me. The silence is deadly. Bowing my head, I stare at the ground as I feel hundreds of pairs of eyes on me.

"Ladies and gentlemen, return to your breakfast. Do not be rude to a lady." Uncle Thor orders, appearing behind me and placing a hand on my shoulder.

Everyone starts to murmur quietly, but I can hear some conversations.

"Odin doesn't want her here."

"She has caused far too much trouble, she should have been killed at birth."

"We lost Asgardians to Loki, we should make him feel the same pain."

Turning on my toes, I wipe my hand in the air and the doors swing open with such force that all eyes are on me again.

"I'm not what you think I am!" I shout.

Storming out of the eating hall, I sprint down corridors and around corners. Suddenly, I bump into someone and my feet slide across the marble floor. Their hands instantly catch me, pulling me back onto my feet. Looking up, I smile at the person and wrap my arms right around his waist. He sighs, placing a hand on the back of my head and leaning his chin on my hair.

"What's the matter, Hatz?" Steve asks.

"I could hear what the Asgardians were thinking." I admit.

"It's okay. They're just jealous."

"But I know that what they're saying is true. That's why it hurts so much." I whisper, tears trickling down my cheeks quickly.