Chapter 9

**

Stumbling slightly on my jelly like legs, I place my hand on the dark tiled floor to gain balance again. The walls are black, with engravings on them. Stepping down the two steps, I follow down the corridor and stop at the end. In front is a yellow electronic wall and a black brick cell.

Loki is stood inside, raising his arms. A small girl is dancing around him, her wavy black hair floating behind her and her dress brushing against her shins. Loki chuckles, running his hands through his hair as he watches the child dancing.

"Now, Harriet, be careful." Loki warns.

My eyes jump. He's created the illusion of me dancing as a child.

"Harriet. Come here, come sit with daddy." Loki suggests.

The girl stops, a huge grin on her pale face as she climbs onto Loki's lap as he sits down. He wraps his arms around her waist and uses one hand to brush her hair out of her face.

"You know daddy loves you, don't you?" He asks.

"Of course! More then the universe." She giggles, pushing her arms out as wide as possible to show him.

Loki chuckles, leaning forward to rub his nose against hers.

"You know your mummy loves you too. Where's mummy, Harriet?"

"She's an angel and she's watching me to make sure I'm safe. Is that right, daddy?" She questions.

"That is correct. Now, what happened to mummy?"

"Uncle Thor took me away and mummy couldn't handle living without me." The child explains.

I gasp, holding a hand over my mouth. How could he tell her that?

"Yes, but now daddy is looking after you and everything will be okay, Harriet. I promise everything will be fine."

"Yes daddy, because you keep me safe." She whispers.

The girl slips her arms around his back and hugs him tight. She leans her head against his chest and Loki nuzzles his face in her hair. Lifting his hand behind her back, a book floats off the shelf and flies into his open hand.

"Are you ready for a story, child?" Loki asks.

"Of course. You know I love your stories daddy!"

The child snuggles into Loki, sucking on her right thumb and resting her head on his chest, her legs up by his waist. Loki opens the book and begins to read an old book of myths.

"Creation of the world. In the beginning there was only chaos. Then out of the void appeared Erebus, the unknowable place where death dwells, and Night. All else was empty, silent, endless, darkness. Then somehow Love was born bringing a start of order. From Love came Light and Day. Once there was Light and Day, Gaea, the earth appeared.

Then Erebus slept with Night, who gave birth to Ether, the heavenly light, and to Day the earthly light. Then Night alone produced Doom, Fate, Death, Sleep, Dreams, Nemesis, and others." Loki reads.

(Authors note; this is from Norse Mythology, the same myths that Loki and Thor come from)

The girl snuggles in until her eyes flicker closed and she falls asleep. Loki looks down at her, a small smile on his lips. He kisses her forehead and sighs deeply. Then the girl disappears with a flash of green. Loki stays sat in the same position, his eyes still fixed on where little me would have been.

*

My eyes flicker open, to see the dark wall and I see Steve sat in front of me. His eyes are bright, a small smile on his face.