Book 2: chapter 20

Walking into the armory, I find the others who have gathered there. "A soldier just tries to usher me to the caves. Did he think these were for show?" I huff, motioning to my weapons.

Legolas glances at me amused. "He might have thought you too fair a maiden. I can't blame him; he has probably never seen you covered in orc muck before." I raise a brow at him, not sure how to take his words. He only chuckles in response.

"Farmer, farriers, stable boys. These are no soldiers." Aragorn mutters, stepping up to us, heaving a deep sigh at the sight of the men gathered to collect weapons.

"Most have seen too many winters." Gimli states.

"Or too few. Look at them. They're frightened... I can see it in their eyes." Legolas adds just a tad too loud, making the men turn their attention to us.

"Boe a hûn: neled herain dan caer menig!" (And they should be... Three hundred against ten thousand!) Legolas continues in elvish, addressing Aragorn. I do not understand all his words, but I can tell their meaning. Legolas can't stand to see these people walking to their doom.

"Si beriathar hýn. Amar nâ ned Edoras." (They have more hope of defending themselves here than at Edoras.) Aragorn counters.

"Aragorn, men i ndagor. Hýn ú-... ortheri. Natha daged aen!" (Aragorn, we are warriors. They cannot win this fight. They are all going to die!) Legolas states as a matter of factly.

Aragorn looks back at him angrily. "Then I shall die as one them!" he spits out in Westron for all to hear before marching off.

Recovering from the shock, Legolas tries to go after him, only to be held back by Gimli. "Let him go, lad. Let him be."

I put my hand on his arm in an attempt to comfort him. I'm sure the last thing he wanted was a falling out with Aragorn. "Come Legolas, we must fill our quivers and sharpen our swords." I tell him, making him look down at me before nodding reluctantly.

Together we make our way to another room to prepare. I can tell he is still very much bothered as he briskly picks the best arrows. I observe him, feeling like there is something I should do about this matter. But what can I do?

I try to speak of the matter, putting in my thoughts: "You only voiced your worries Legolas. They are not unjust. I know you only care for their wellbeing, Aragorn knows that too." I finally say, making him halt for a moment.

He sighs before turning to me. "What do you think will happen? You have seen their forces." he questions.

I look away, leaning against the wall. "Honestly I try to keep my thoughts from going there. Factually, many things could happen. I'm afraid that if I dwell on it for too long, I will lose my wit. I do not want to be filled with fright beforehand."

I smile softly up at him, realizing something. "I suppose Aragorn relies on us to keep a level head, to set an example and be his support. I guess it spooked him when his friend used such negative words that are so uncharacteristic of him." I say, making him look away ashamed. I do not mean to scold him, but I suppose he realizes now the effect of his words.

"And there is where I was in the wrong. I see now that I reminded them of their fear, reminded Aragorn of his. I should not have." he confesses.

Stepping up to him, I place my hand on his cheek, turning his face back my way. "You should go speak with him. It's not too late to strengthen his faith. We are still a company and we need each other to take away each other's fears, Aragorn is no exception. He needs you to have his back, no matter what, or he'll crumble. Be strong for him Legolas." I say, making him look at me thoughtful.