GOODBYE, SUNSET by (Lorde Kate Angelica Defensor)

"Why did you do it?" He asks, staring out into the setting sun.
Silence.
"You were my best friend. I didn't even like you at first." The guy continues, smiling bitterly.

A sigh comes from the person next to him. "You were my best friend, too. And I really did love you."
      "Yeah? So, why?" He turns to look at the other person's eye.
      "I don't know," the other person shrugs. "It just got way too much. You kept on checking my phone, my computer, all my stuff. I just," a sigh again, "got tired of it all."
      "I stopped trusting you the day I saw her inside your room." The guy fumbles with his hands, struggling to find the words to say.
      A long silence follows, the two of them just sits there, side-by-side, looking at the orange sky. After a while, the other person speaks.
      "Why didn't you walk away first? I knew it was hard for you. You were suffering. Why did you stay?" He asks.
      "I don't know, too. I was stupid, that's for sure." The guy smiles. "And I loved you so much. I didn't want my suspicions to be real." He says in a low voice. "I was hoping that one day I get to wake up & say it was all just a bad dream & you'd still be there beside me."

      The person beside him turns to look at him and says, "I'm sorry. For everything. For all the pain I've caused you even after I promised not to ever break your heart."
      "It's been three years. I'm glad we're having this talk now."
      "Me, too."
      "So, is the baby well?" He asks, feeling lighter than when he first saw his ex-boyfriend five hours ago.
      With the question, the ex-boyfriend's seems to light up. Love just oozed out of the pores of his body as he pulls out his phone from his pocket and shows something to him. "She's very small. She's almost two now. Look."
He feels his ex-boyfriend's happiness and he can't help feeling happy, too. The kid on the photo is smiling so wide, cake smeared all over her face. She's got her father's eyes. The same eyes that looked at me with pure love before, he thinks. "She's very pretty."
      "She is. She talks so much. It's so cute."
      "And your wife?" He can't help but wonder about the very girl who took his place.
      "She's also very well." The other guy says, tensing up. In an attempt to lighten the mood, he tells him, "Hey, I've told her about you. Maybe you should come meet her sometime."
      He smiles, "Maybe when I'm totally over you, man."
      They both laugh at this.

      "Thank you, for letting me go." The other person says and gives the guy a pat in the shoulder.
      "I want you to be happy. Even if it's not with me. I love you so much even after all these years that passed by. I didn't stop." He sighs before smiling. "Take care of your family, okay?"
      The ex-boyfriend nods and pulls the guy closer until his head is resting on ex-boyfriend's shoulder. "You deserve all the happiness I wasn't able to give you."
      "I'll find it someday." He replies.
      They stay like that for a while until the sun starts to set and the ex-boyfriend have to leave. Going their separate ways, one to the left and one to the right, the guy thinks that this is what love must really be. Acceptance. They may not end up together but as long as he knows the other guy is happy, he'll take it. Love should always be about wanting the other person to have a nice life.
      He takes one last look at the retreating figure and smiles to himself. Now, he can finally let go.