Between the Magnolia Boughs

by Zoida Clara Yamba

A four o'clock sun hung between the boughs of a Magnolia tree whose white blossoms filled the air with exquisite perfume.

She breathed the fragrance all in, filling her lungs as if she stopped breathing for a long time. Well, she did. Or rather, she thought so.
      Cathy stared at the flat slab of cement upon which the name, birth and death of a certain Paul were inscribed. She carefully laid down a bouquet of Peonies atop and managed to sit on the grassy ground beside the grave. Every year, for eight years, she had been doing this - sitting around and reminiscing every moment with him. She was afraid that she might forget him. She could not bear the thought of lossing him. She lost him to cancer once and never would she lose him again to sheer oblivion.
      "Does death really part two people?" she remembered asking him once after their wedding ceremony. His brown eyes twinkled with amusement as he laughed and called her a sentimentalist. He then turned serious and asked her, "Cathy, if I die, will you promise to marry again?"
      The question sent panic and fear right through her. She could not even bear the thought of loving another person. She cried and called him fool. He laughed even harder. They had their major fight after that.

      It had been ten years since she made that vow on the altar. They were married right after college and though their immaturity made quite a mess, they still overcame. All those memories are now sweetened with time. The first three years after his death she was a walking mess.
      She was so angry at Paul, with cancer, with God. Yet, gradually, she learned that it was her heart God was preparing. She became a woman with wisdom.
      Still, she missed him. If only I could cross eternity and hold him again, she sobbed.
      "Paul, my heart did beat again," she said to the deep blue sky. "I don't want to forget you. I understand now how unselfish you were. Our Lizzie needs a father, you were right. It does just didn't feel right back then."
      Cathy laid her head on the cold tombstone and let the turmoil inside her spill into tears until she could not cry anymore. The wind rustles the dry grass as the Magnolia flowers dance. Cathy was caught into the spell of nature's comfort and she fell into a dreamless slumber.
      The sun had sunk low into the horizon when she woke with a startle. Mark woke me up! What on earth...She looked at him, a little annoyed.

      "I am sorry. I guess you were bothered with what I owned up last night," he explained slowly and looked at the tombstone, "Lizzie told me your story. I cannot replace him, Cathy. I do not intend to." His eyes deepened with understanding that sent her heart into some frenzy. "He was such a good man. I can only wish to be half man as him."
      "I am sorry, Mark. It was difficult for me."
      "I know. I know. Come, let us go home. Lizzie had been looking for her mama."
      "Go ahead. Just give me a sec", she answered.
      Cathy stared at the Paul's grave. The sky had turned into carmine and canary when Cathy glanced at it. Smiling, she said "Thank you. I won't forget. Ever."
      "Cathy, hurry!" Mark shouted and waved from the distance.
      "Coming!" she answered back. She bent down and picked some fresh fallen magnolia flowers. She smelled the flowers then found herself running lightly like a child.