Chapter Four

{ Chapter Four }

I wake up in my new bed. Downstairs, I can hear the sound of people conversing and forks hitting plates. I slide the thick blankets off of my legs and slip downstairs. Everyone at the table, even the housekeeper, looks up at me. I run a hand through my hair, realizing that I forgot to brush it.

"Grace." Michael says, smiling. He pulls out a chair for me beside him and pats the cushion. "Come eat."

I walk awkwardly over to it and sit, putting my hands in my lap. Eliza's son looks at me briefly again before turning back to his food. "I don't believe you've met everyone, Grace." Eliza smiles at me. "This is our housekeeper, Amanda." The maid glances at me and leaves the room. "And this is my son, Caleb. Caleb?"

The boy, Caleb, raises his head along with his hand. "Hi. And you are?"

I barely move his hand before pulling back. "Grace."

"Welcome." He smiles a little, scooping eggs onto his fork. 

I chuckle a little, for the first time in a long time. Amanda sets a plate in front of me that consists of eggs, toast, bacon, and grits. A glass of orange juice is placed on my coaster. I immediately down the juice and shove toast into my mouth. I haven't had good food like this in years. The Brian family watches me as I continue to cram food into my mouth. I glance up and say, "What?"

They all shake their heads slowly and turn back to their own plate. "Have as much as you like, Grace." Michael tells me. "What's ours is yours now."

-

-

-

Eliza decides to take me out shopping for clothes after breakfast so I won't have to sleep in the clothes I wore into their town. I watch out the window as fancy, expensive shops roll past. Eliza looks my way briefly and smiles. "What type of clothes do you prefer?"

I shrug, turning in my chair to face her. "T-shirts? I don't really know. I usually wear jeans and jackets."

"Well. we'll get you some day clothes and some clothes to wear to church. Sound good?"

I nod and pull my knees to my chest. As Eliza pulls into a parking space, I look into the window of the store. The mannequins are wearing dresses, shirts, pants, and all types of things.

"Ready?" She asks, opening her door. I smile weakly at her and nod, doing the same to my own door. We walk inside together and start picking out clothes my size. 

"How about this one?" Eliza holds up a bright pink shirt with lace pattern on the top. 

I shrug my shoulders and say, "It's okay. Maybe for church." 

She nods, adding it to her endless pile in her basket. "I think we can hit the dressing room now."

I follow her to a hallway leading to the fitting rooms, and the worker unlocks one. "Hope you find everything you need."

"Thank you." Eliza says back, handing me the basket. "There's no particular order you have to try them on, okay? Pick what you feel suits you."

I nod and close the door, locking it as well. I slip my shirt off, trying my best to ignore the bruises on my mid-section reflected in the mirror, and try on a blue top. It was tight all around my stomach and waist. I furrow my brow and put on a yellow tank top. It didn't fit either.

After trying a few more shirts, I call, "Eliza?"

"Yes, sweetheart?"

I open the door, wearing a black V-neck, and step into the hallway. "None of the shirts fit."

"Really?" She chews her bottom lip, examining my attire. "Lift up your shirt." 

Questioningly, I do as she says. She touches my belly and says, "Are you pregnant?"

I force the shirt back down over my stomach and exclaim, "No! How could you say that?" I run into the dressing room and slam the door in her face. Tugging my original top on, I shove past her and rush out of the store. I hear her calling my name after me, but I'm done with her now. 

I race down the sidewalk and don't stop until I am certain I am at least a few blocks down. I hang my head low as I continue to walk, breathless. 

"Grace?"

My eyes shoot up, and I relax when I see who it is. "It's just you."

Caleb nods, giving me a once-over. "Are you okay?"

I don't answer; I don't know how. No one has ever asked me that before.

"Why are you alone out here? I thought you were shopping with my mom." He walks a few steps away to sit on a bench. I do the same and plop down beside him.

"I was." I sigh, running a hand through my hair. "But she asked me if I was pregnant and I screamed at her and left."

"Are you?" He says.

I growl. "Why does everyone think that?"

"Are you a virgin?"

I blush a deep red. "Well, I-"

"Then there's a possibility. Was it recent?"

I shrug. "Like last month, but we-"

"You could be, Grace." He shrugs too. "

I sigh. "I'm sorry. I didn't mean to unload all my issues on you-"

"No, no." Caleb shakes his head. "You're fine. I don't blame you."

"Oh." I say. "Well, I've never really had anyone to tell my problems to or anything like that. It's always just been me. I've kept my emotions all bottled deep down inside me and now I-"

"Don't know how to react to them." He finishes my sentence for me.

I look up at him, my mouth slightly open, and sigh. "Yeah. That's probably it."

A/N: My chapters suck oops.

Mack ♥