Chapter Seventeen

{ Chapter Seventeen }

"Good afternoon, sunshine." Caleb says, opening the bedroom door.

Prying my eyes open, I roll over on my bed and face him, rubbing my face. I'm confused for a moment, not knowing where I am, but then remember the events of this morning and last night.

"Where's Noah?" I whisper, almost like an instinct, my voice coming out raspy.

He chuckles, coming over to the bed and pushing my hair away from my face. "He's downstairs with Alexis. He didn't wake up until an hour ago."

"What time is it?" I ask as Caleb helps me sit up.

"A little after four P.M."

My mouth falls open and I stand from the mattress. "Why didn't you wake me up?!"

"We knew you were tired. I decided to let you rest a little longer." He shrugs.

I sigh, running the back of my hand over my forehead. "Was Noah fussy?"

Caleb shakes his head, pulling me in for a hug, and laughs. "No. He's fine. He woke up around ten and my mom fed him, and then he went back to sleep beside you again. And then he woke up a little while ago and we fed him again. Don't worry, Grace. We're pretty good with babies."

I smile. "I know. I'm just new to all this, you know?"

He nods slowly. "Yeah. I know."

After I brush my hair and teeth, I walk downstairs to the kitchen with Caleb. Alexis is sitting at the small table in the corner, Noah in her arms. "Hey, Grace." She smiles at me. Noah looks up and sees me, letting out a high-pitched cry.

I walk over to my sister and take him from her arms, smiling. "Hey, sweetheart." I say to Alexis, hugging her with my free arm. "Did you sleep good?"

She shrugs, tickling my baby's belly. "Yeah, aside from the hour that he woke everyone up."

The corners of my mouth turn down into a frown. "Yeah, sorry about that. If only someone would have woken me up." I say, punching Caleb's shoulder.

He laughs, smiling down at Noah before saying, "You need your sleep, Grace. I thought we could handle him but we couldn't."

I smirk. "Now, is that my fault?"

Alexis laughs, while Caleb rolls his eyes. "Whatever."

Noah, feeling left out, makes a whining sound and scrunches his face up. I grin, resting him on my shoulder as I reach for bread to make a sandwich.

Alexis stands, touching my arm. "I'm gonna go upstairs." She says. Before I get a chance to reply, she's already gone.

"So," Caleb says, wrapping his arms loosely around my waist. "I was thinking that we could go somewhere tonight."

I raise an eyebrow at him, grabbing a bag of chips. "Yeah?"

He nods. "Like, somewhere fun. You've been working hard, you deserve a break."

"Do you think I'm ready for something like that without Noah? Pour me some sweet tea, please." I shove a glass in his direction.

"Yeah." He grabs the tea pitcher from the fridge as I sit at the table. "I think you'll have a good time."

Noah giggles, putting his fingers in his mouth. I take his hand out and put the pacifier in. "Okay." I sigh, then smile. "I'll go."

-

-

-

"Bye, Grace."

"Where are you going?" I look up from the mirror and see Alexis standing in the doorway.