Chapter Nine

{ Chapter Nine }

The next day, as he promised, Caleb wakes me up early so we can go back to my parent's house. He tells me that the cops have agreed to assist us in case anyone is there that may hurt us. 

On the ride there, I lean into Caleb in the front seat and he rubs my hand with one hand, driving with the other one. 

"Are you scared?" He whispers, pulling into my driveway.

I nod slowly, staring at the house. "Of course. But we have to do this."

Caleb and I follow the cops to the front door. The two men bust down the door, their guns raised, and we wait for an okay to enter. Screaming Alexis's name, I run straight to the closet they first locked her in across from the bathroom. I see a small figure in the back corner, shivering. "Alexis?" I whisper softly, trying not to scare her. She jumps anyway and her green eyes raise to look at me.

She coughs as she sits up. "G-Grace?"

Tears stream down my face as I pull her into a hug on the floor. "Alexis. Alexis."  I repeat over and over as I hold her in my arms. "I love you, baby. I love you." 

Either she doesn't have enough energy to cry or she's too dehydrated to produce the water. "You c-came back for m-me."

A cop hands me a water bottle and I pop it open fast, shoving it into her mouth. She drinks the whole thing in one swallow, and then two more before she can sit up on her own. She is so thin; I can see every rib on her and her collarbones are so defined. 

"Can I get some food for her?" I call out.

"Nothing in here." Caleb says back. "We'll have to get something on the way back."

As we drive, I hold Alexis as close to me as possible. I kiss her hair, still whispering her name. 

We stop briefly to get Alexis some fruit, a double hamburger, and three corn dogs. She scarfs them down before we even get back on the interstate. 

Obviously, the food and water give her a lot more energy. She's smiling back at me now, her arms wrapped around me. Her stomach pokes out, bloated, but she doesn't even care, because she's back where she belongs: in my arms.

-

-

-

At our house, Eliza sends Alexis upstairs to get showered and freshened up. It's the first shower she's had in weeks. While she is getting cleaned, Eliza pulls me into the kitchen. 

"Grace, I don't know if this is a good idea." She starts uneasily. "She's so sick and frail, maybe we should-"

"What?" I instantly blow up. "How could you say that? You took me in, I was a stranger! She's no different. She's my sister. I can't leave her."

"She's just so young-"

"Where will she go, huh? Back with my parents?" I say, throwing up my hands. "I was counting on you for support, but apparently I can't get it from you."

"Grace?" I hear a little voice squeak from the stairs. I turn and see Alexis's small figure wrapped in a towel.  

I walk to her and lead her upstairs, not looking back at Eliza. 

-

-

Later that night, Alexis sleeps in my bed with me. I can't believe it's been so long since I last saw her. She curls into a ball next to my side and sighs, her warm breath heating my blankets.

"I'm pregnant." I blurt out quietly, only for Alexis to hear.

"Really?" She whispers, not looking up.

I nod. "Who's the father?" She asks. I shake my head.

She rolls over onto her other side, still pressed against me, and says, "That was a stupid idea, sleeping with some random guy." Before I can say anything back, her breathing slows and she's asleep.