Coca Cola

Sodapop
            "Soda, can you take over for a moment at the register?" Steve asked from inside. I was peering down at the engine of a car, trying to figure out what the popping noise was for.
          I nodded, though he wasn't in the room, and pulled off my working-gloves. "Yeah, I got it," I called back, wiping off the car grease from my face and tossing the wipe into the trash.
          Walking into the station, out of the garage, I saw a few girls looking at magazines. They were glancing at me and giggling a little, thinking I didn't notice them, but I was used to it. I chuckled to myself and looked over to the broad walking up to the counter, her nose in a book. Not sparing me a glance, she set a bottle of Coke on the counter and began shuffling through her red purse, which matched her dress. She had a nice figure under those clothes, I could tell. I ain't the kind of person to go undressing a broad with my eyes whenever I please, though.
          "Will that be all, Miss?" I asked.
          "It will, thank you." She had a smooth accent, like she was from way up-north. Her voice was calm and alluring, a little smoky, too. Intoxicating would be a good word, I think. Words are more of Pony's kind of thing.
          And then, she looked up. For the first time in a month, I felt my grin fade. I froze for a second, or maybe time did. I don't know. She was art. Her face was soft and untouched by age, and her eyes were as deep and clear as the ocean. They were a soft (e/c). Her lips were glossy and pink, looking about as soft as silk. Sandy was the first thing that came to mind. She was so much prettier than Sandy.
          I shook my head dismissively and grabbed the bottle to scan it. "You-- uh, you new in town? And that'll be a buck-fifty, Strawberry."
[I'm gonna use real-time money, since saying that a bottle of coke was 5¢ is a little confusing, even if it's true. If you can translate it way back, by all means, do it :)  -Popcorn]
          "Strawberry?"
          I nodded. "You's wearin' all red, you look a bit like a strawberry."
          "Very well, I'll roll with it." She giggled. "Here you go." She gave me the money, and our hands touched for a brief moment. Hers were the softest things I had ever touched. "And yes, I am. I'm from Minneapolis; I just moved here."
          "Well, then, welcome to Tulsa. What's your name?"
          She replied, "(F/n). Yours?"
          "Sodapop, but my friends just call me Soda."
          "That's an interesting name, Soda --I can call you that, right? Since we're friends now?" She smirked slightly.
          "You sure can." My grin returned to my face even brighter than before.
          "Great. Can I ask, what time is it?"
          I looked down at my watch. "12:17."
          "Goodness, I've been walking for nearly three hours. I should probably head home for lunch. It was really nice meeting you, Soda. I'll see you around."
          "Gee, Strawberry, I do hope so," I said sheepishly, rubbing the back of my neck harshly.
           She smiled so sweetly that I could almost taste a spoonful of sugar on my tongue. "Me too. Thanks." (F/n) lifted the Coke to wave as she exited the station.
           Like a total dope, I kept waving through the window until she was out of sight. Steve was right beside me when I turned, scaring me out of my shoes. He was looking at me with those questioning eyes he has when he's thinking something mischievous. I groaned.
          "I acted like a moron, Steve."
          "You're always actin' like a moron. Why more now than before?"
          I replied, "A broad. I acted like an idiot in front of some girl that came in a moment ago. She was cute, too."
          "You mean the broad that popped in here with a book? She sure was a looker, but why do you care?"
          "I don't know. She was pretty, I guess." I looked down at the counter, but something caught my eye. Sitting next to the lotto tickets was the book (F/n) came in with.
          I pulled it off of the counter and ran a hand across the hard cover. "From Here To Eternity", it was called. I had heard my old teachers mentioning the book a few times, but I don't read too much, so I didn't know anything about the book. I opened the cover and flipped through the pages. There were notes and comments in the margins, written lightly in petite, elegant handwriting. She used big words and very, very proper grammar. Go figures, since she looked like a Soc.
           And then I smacked myself. Hard. "What're you doing, ya' dud?" Steve asked.
          I smacked myself again and looked back at him. "She was a Socy girl. I don't wanna like a Soc."
           He replied, "You just now noticed it? She looked like the plain definition of a Soc, Soda. Now get back to work, you're 'bout to get a customer." He pointed towards the door as a man stepped in, smoking a cigarette.

           That night, I wearily stepped into the house, car grease smudged all over my face and my feet dragging on the floor. I was so tired. A whole eight hours of crawling under cars will do that to you. I always walk in like that, but I perk up whenever I see Pony and Darry. Ponyboy's always sitting on the couch with a book, if he ain't out and about, and Darry's generally home when I get back. Sometimes, when he's working extra hours, I get the house to myself, and I never mind. The house kinda empties out on Fridays, since Pony and Johnny like to go out, and Dally's always at Buck Merril's. [I've decided not to kill off Johnny and Dally, just so you know.]
          Tonight was one of those nights where I was all alone. It was getting dark out when I finally reached home, and I sighed when I realized that no one was there. I flicked on the kitchen light and opened the fridge. There were four or five slices of a chocolate cake sitting next to a carton of milk, and we had a package of hotdogs sitting next to that. I grabbed the cake and a paper plate and flopped down on the couch, which was burned with a few cigarette butts. I switched on the staticky TV, which was showing me a Coca Cola commercial. I liked the noise of the TV, which is why I kept it on, but I wasn't really paying attention once the actual show started. I didn't even catch its name.
          I looked down at the book on the coffee table. I was totally unsure as to how I'd get it back to Strawberry. I smiled at the thought of her. She said she'd see me around, but I don't wanna be carrying around a book all the time until I see her next. That's a good way to get jumped, you know. And if there's anything I don't need, it's to get jumped.
          I finished my cake after a while, and eventually crashed out on the couch. No one was home when I fell asleep, still, but I didn't mind too much. Though I would have liked to tell Ponyboy about that pretty girl from the DX Station.